Heroic Acts, Courag...

Notifications
Clear all

Heroic Acts, Courage and Personal Accounts from the Insurrection

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Tonight I read a fascinating  article about the Capitol take over from the points of view of the 2 Arizona senators, Kirsten Sinema and Mark Kelly.  

I am proud of my senators, especially how Sinema used her social worker background to help calm a particularly terrified young staffer. How she also made sure senators not present  in the "safe" location we found and brought ASAP.  Also how she cleared aisle  ways and prepared others for evacuation.

Kelly told of how proud he was of young staffers having the presence of mind to grab the ballot boxes, the reason why they were there on the Senate floor the first place. Kelly and Senator Corey Booker stayed behind to make sure those staffers were safe while evacuating with the boxes.

Then there is this this account from surreal Kelly about Corey Booker whom he was sitting next too when things fell apart:

“I’ll never forget the look on his face,” Kelly said. “And he says to me, ‘I just saw the Confederate flag at the door.’ Now, the door was 8 feet away from us.”

Kelly, a former astronaut,  also said:

“It is kind of one of those days that you very quickly realize that 20 years from now, I'll still remember the details,” he said. “It kind of sort of reminded me of the day Gabby was shot. (Gabby Giffords, his wife,  is a former US congresswomen who was shot in the head at a local meet and greet ten years ago last week).

It was the same sort of feeling he had back in 2003, on the day of the Space Shuttle Columbia accident.

I would probably put this day on the same list because it was one of those things, where it was very surreal, where you’re like, is this really happening?”

More of the article can be found below.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2021/01/15/kyrsten-sinema-mark-kelly-recount-storming-us-capitol/6648306002/

TriciaCT, lenor, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Three lawmakers introduced a bill Thursday to award a Congressional Gold Medal to the Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman.  Goodman single handedly redirected an angry mob away from the senate chambers,  likely saving  lives during the Capitol Insurrection..

“He’s a hero!” Rep. Charlie Crist said in a statement. “The United States Capitol was under attack by armed, violent extremists, and officer Eugene Goodman was the only thing standing between the mob and the United States Senate.”

"Goodman served in the Army as an infantryman for more than four years, leaving with the rank of sergeant in December 2006 after a year in Iraq. He has worked for the Capitol Police since at least mid-2009.

The Congressional Gold Medal is considered the "highest expression of national appreciation for distinguished achievements and contributions," according to the House of Representatives.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/01/15/eugene-goodman-capitol-police-officer-congressional-gold-medal/4172650001/

TriciaCT, lenor, tgraf66 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: