California Governor...

Notifications
Clear all

California Governor Recall Election

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

Hey y'all -

Just popping in to remind all our California registered voters to please return your mail in ballots before Sept. 14.

All registered voters should have received a ballot by now, you can mail it back or drop it off at a local spot (most public libraries and colleges have one).

Please vote NO on recall - we already elected Newsom and he's up for re-election next year anyway, this is just a right wing power grab attempt.

As for the second question - it's unconstitutional, and the Dem party is saying t leave it blank. DO NOT LEAVE IT BLANK! Instead, check off "Write-In" and then please write in the following:
Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis

The state constitution clearly states that if the governor's seat is empty FOR ANY REASON the job is supposed to go to the lieutenant governor.

If you're uncomfortable with that, then go ahead and leave it blank, but do not pick anyone else, even if listed as a Dem.

So far the spread is a half a point, Newsom may very well lose. Even though our state legislature is 90% Dem, the governor has a lot of power here. It was stupid of him to go to French Laundry for fundraising in the middle of a pandemic and then not really make amends for that, but he's done enough good otherwise and again, we can primary him next year.

Thanks!

deetoo, FEBbby23, PamP and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

@laura-f Every expert I've heard or read says vote no, and send back in, leaving question two blank.

deetoo, PamP, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@saibh 

They are misleading voters.

Most likely Newsome will lose on question #1.

The front runner is a RWNJ, at least writing in the lt. gov. dilutes that guy's votes. For question 2 it requires only a plurality, not a majority.

The most likely scenario is that Larry Elder wins with fewer votes for him than Yes votes on question 1.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dolphinspirit)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f I hope Gavin pulls it off. If Gavin gets more yes votes it goes to the one with the most votes on the ballot. It’s dumb, but here we are.

Vote No, call all your Ca. Friends.

FEBbby23, PamP, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Women are smarter than men……

California women show decisive support for Newsom, concerns about Elder, as recall looms
A nonpartisan poll finds that 62% of likely women voters approve of California Gov. Gavin Newsom while only 43% of men do.

Read in Los Angeles Times: https://apple.news/AhL5mh5mURdm0P_0zrxkbVQ

Shared from Apple News

Sent from my iPhone

TriciaCT, PamP, JourneyWithMe2 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

Women are smarter than men……

This is not news... ;-)

TriciaCT, FEBbby23, PamP and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

If the visions I and others here have had pan out, Newsome will emerge unscathed tomorrow. But it's still a good idea to be mentally prepared for the possibility of the recall effort turning out to be successful. Being prepared means you can start assimilating a potential Newsome loss into the story of the Great Turning WITHOUT letting talking heads make explanations for you. I don't think a Newsome loss would contradict the longer term vision of Congress staying blue next year or the GOP losing almost all of their power by the end of the decade.

TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@coyote 

I hope you are right, however here on the ground all is quiet - Newsome is not exactly going around asking for support, there are no TV ads, no radio ads, no bulletin boards. My fear is he will lose not because so many vote Yes to the recall, but because so many can't even be bothered to pop their ballots back into the mail.

Also, I think 2016 and 2020 are proof that election polling is hopelessly flawed. It's no longer an accurate predictor of victory.

JourneyWithMe2, deetoo, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@theungamer)
Famed Member Registered

@laura-f Newsom has been active on social media.  Biden arrived in CA about an hour ago to support the NO vote.  Agree that polling can't be trusted and most people are very quiet.  Am staying neutral until there's a reason to breath a sigh of relief. ? 

TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2, deetoo and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

I am singularly unconcerned either way.  The regular gubernatorial election is next year anyway.  If the recall fails (and I think it will), all is well.  If it succeeds, I suspect the large majority of D's in the CA Assembly will keep the successor in check, overriding executive orders if necessary. The biggest advantage the R's have in this recall is the fact that they don't actually have to win the majority, only a plurality among the other options. However, the state is so strongly D that even should an R take over for the next 14 months - or even if it's a close vote - the D voter base would be so energized for next year that no R challenger (or incumbent, if it comes to that) will stand a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning, and Newsome would be eligible to run again.

JourneyWithMe2, lenor, Coyote and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@theungamer)
Famed Member Registered

@tgraf66 I want to hit the like button on that over and over. ? 

Maggieci, JourneyWithMe2, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@leec21)
Eminent Member Registered

Newsom won by large margin :)

ghandigirl, TriciaCT, theungamer and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@2ndfdl)
Prominent Member Registered

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article254249308.html

Newsom survives the recall attempt. 

TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2, theungamer and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

SO RELIEVED!!!

Now we have to take a day off to celebrate and get right back to work, as our regular gubernatorial election is in 14 months.

BTW - even Orange County voted against Creeping Orange Menace! And Orange is the MOST conservative county on the coast, with lots of megachurches.

lenor, Lovendures, ghandigirl and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

I spit out my water when I came across this photo 

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, polarberry and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kksali)
Noble Member Registered

@dannyboy This is the best! ❤️❤️???

Jeanne Mayell, polarberry, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

I posted a pic that said "Laura Marked Herself Safe from Larry Elder" on Facebook. You know, just so no one wonders ? 

lenor, DannyBoy, polarberry and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: