Notifications
Clear all

The Vaccine - Many issues to discuss

(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

This is what is recommended in Australia if it helps unlike USA we are heading into autumn and winter.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-statement-on-recommendations-on-a-winter-booster-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine

some excerpts from the article

ATAGI recommends an additional booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine to increase vaccine protection before winter for selected population groups (see Table 1) who are at greatest risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and who have received their primary vaccination and first booster dose. These groups are:

• Adults aged 65 years and older
  • Residents of aged care or disability care facilities
  • People aged 16 years and older with severe immunocompromise (as defined in the  ATAGI statement on the use of a 3rd primary dose of COVID-19 vaccine in individuals who are severely immunocompromised)
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and older.

ATAGI recommends that the rollout of the additional booster dose for these groups starts from April 2022, coinciding with the rollout of the 2022 influenza vaccination program.

Influenza vaccine can be co-administered with the additional booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine. However, if a person is not yet eligible for their additional booster dose, influenza vaccine could be given ahead of the additional booster dose.

Comirnaty (Pfizer) or Spikevax (Moderna) are the preferred vaccines for COVID-19 booster doses including the additional winter booster dose. Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) can be used when an mRNA vaccine is contraindicated or a person declines vaccination with an mRNA vaccine. Nuvaxovid (Novavax) can be used if no other COVID-19 vaccine is considered suitable for that person.

For other groups not listed above, there is insufficient evidence of the benefits of an additional booster dose to make recommendations at this time. This includes people younger than 65 years with medical conditions that may increase their risk of COVID-19, individuals with disability and National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) recipients who are not in residential disability care, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 16 to 49, workers at health care or residential care facilities, or younger healthy adults. ATAGI will continue to monitor emerging evidence and may recommend an additional dose for these groups in the future.

Hope that helps

Regards to all

PamP, Lauren, CC21 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@ana 

Agreed, the whole Omicron booster thing is an experiment in progress. This is such an intuitive group, folks can assess their own risk tolerance and follow their instincts. I will boost again to avoid long Covid, which can happen in mild cases although I do not know anyone who has it. Also, there is some evidence of Covid's effects on the brain but I would guess that it isn't clear if, or when people recover from those effects.

https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19s-severe-impacts-on-the-brain-even-in-people-that-did-not-experience-serious-respiratory-symptoms/

Lauren, CC21, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 lynn
(@lynn)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures  It is confusing. I think most of the second booster research is from Israel, and it seems to be positive.

I'm planning to wait 8 months after my first booster to get the second. I'm over 50 but don't have any health conditions. I'm also masking indoors. Luckily that's not an issue where I live. Everyone is still masking here, even though it's now optional. People are even masking outdoors, and there's no stigma, whether you choose to keep it on or take it off.

I'm staying out of the gym for now. It the infection rate stays low through summer I may go back. 

Lauren, CC21, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

A timely article in the New York Times this very morning discussing BA.2's arrival:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/well/live/ba2-omicron-covid.html

And another regarding the booster, again, nothing is crystal clear but it lays out information for readers to consider:

https://www.nytimes.com/explain/2022/03/29/health/second-booster-shots-covid

Like, Iridium, I crave exercise but I go to a small gym where vaccination is required and wear a mask. I also keep an eye on my county's infection rate and stay away during spikes. The risk:reward ratio isn't always easy to compute and in my case varies day to day. At least dying from Covid now seems unlikely, thank goodness.

Lauren, CC21, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

I had covid-19 in February 2020.  I got the J & J vaccine and booster. I still stay away from crowds and interaction with others (which suits me introvert that I am) for the most part. Living where I live? most here followed Trumpian lines.. not wearing masks and harassing those that do, wanting to take hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin all the while spreading lies and misinformation.

Covid19 forced me in to retirement. It also severely exacerbated my psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and I tend to enjoy staying home and moving with life at my own pace now instead of punching a clock and working well beyond the state of exhaustion.

I did get an antibody test done at the Minute Clinic and it shows a robust response.

The J & J has more recently been found to provide long lasting protection : https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/jj-covid-vaccine-promising-long-term-durability-rcna20714

J & J excels in the T-Cell's persisting whether or not antibodies are decreasing so that offers another layer of protection.

I have until the end of May to decide if I will get a 3rd J & J vaccine. I would be due in June. It appears the funding for vaccines is drying up as well as any funds for help for the general populace with covid issues.

The studies seem to indicate that there will be a surge of Omicron BA2 in the Fall which is why they are "pushing" for another booster of any variety.

I guess bottom line is to trust your intuition about what is right for you and your body, your family.

I am satisfied with the choices I have made for myself.

Lauren, CC21, raincloud and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@theungamer)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures Am soon traveling abroad to a country that has lifted all mandates.  Got the 2nd booster on 4/30 and plan to stay masked as the US still is requiring a negative test to return home.  Locally no one is wearing masks.  Am inclined to continue wearing mine in confined spaces.  It's been really nice to not have a cold for flu for the past few years.

Lauren, CC21, raincloud and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tybin)
Famed Member Registered

Got my second booster Thursday and decided to mix it up by getting Moderna for the first time. I had more side effects this time but maybe that’s good. Andy Slavitt says the Omicron we previously  had here in the States was more like 1.1 version.

I still wear masks indoors. I will continue to do so, as I work with a vulnerable population  

Lauren, CC21, raincloud and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@maggieci)
Noble Member Registered

My goal still is to never get covid if I can help it. I'm still masking when going to stores even though I'm in the minority, and I will get a second booster next month, ahead of a social engagement I can't skip. One really has to dig for information on what appears to be another serious wave that is hurting the most vulnerable, children and elderly.

I've been reading comments from various doctors on twitter, leading me to believe that even a "minor" infection can have serious consequences.

@RuhoyMD mentions: congested blood vessels and microhemorrhages seen in brain; macrophages leading to neuronophagia; endothelial injury; vasculitis; cranial nerve and spinal root involvement; T cell exhaustion; mood, sleep, and cognitive disorders.

other doctors:

@DonEford

@DGBassani

@FurnessColin

Lauren, CC21, BlueBelle and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@maggieci I have the same goal of not ever, ever getting Covid.  On Friday, I received my second Pfizer booster since it had been six months since the first one.  I’m still wearing a mask when going into stores, museums, any place where people congregate inside.  We’ve relaxed about dining out, but choose restaurants with outdoor seating.  Here’s an article in the NYT about preparing for the wave of Omicron BA 2 and one recommendation is keeping an eye on current data with corresponding links to the CDC.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/well/live/ba2-omicron-covid.html?action=click&algo=clicks_raw&block=trending_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=172045893&impression_id=6023a51c-b37f-11ec-a33d-edcdc35cd4d2&index=0&pgtype=Article&pool=pool%2F91fcf81c-4fb0-49ff-bd57-a24647c85ea1&region=footer&req_id=701010390&surface=eos-most-popular-story&variant=holdout_most-popular-story

We have the KN95 masks, can social distance and avoid certain congested situations if it comes to that again.  We know how to maneuver in society safely and when to self-isolate.  We can do this!

Lauren, Vesta, tybin and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I got my second booster too.  I am glad. I have too many friends who've gotten covid even after they had the first booster and wore masks, although these friends also travel a lot.  One friend got sick after attending a wake in which half the people there were without masks.  Another friend got sick after spending an hour in a small therapy room with an unmasked asymptomatic client who later reported she had in fact had covid. Both friends  had worn masks and one booster. They reported getting bad colds. A bad cold isn't the end of the world.  but covid is creepy, with reported long term health conditions that I don't want to get.  I had a mild reaction to the second booster.  

Maggieci, Lovendures, lynn and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tesseract)
Famed Member Registered

I just got my second booster. So far only a sore arm. I have been lucky for all these shots, little to no side effects. I have a rare blood condition called Essential Thrombocytosis for which I have to take what is essentially a "chemo" drug that increases (!!) my vulnerability and creates exhaustion, so I still wear a mask for grocery shopping and things like library visits, but other than family (all vaccinated) I rarely see anyone. I have a great emotional support system with family and friends (and here!) and lots of phone conversation, but if I, who have a lifetime of positive affirming studies, knowledge of and use of many healing modalities, and total belief in LIGHT, finds depression creeping up on me, how must others feel?

My home is not being bombed. I have food in my kitchen and I live in sunny Tucson, AZ. As an empath, I find myself, even with enormous Spirit protections, even with all my years of experience and knowledge, being inundated with the pains and sorrows of millions. I am positive and active during the day, it is first awakening that seems to be a problem ...those first moments in-between sleep and waking where there is a grim dread in my gut...almost as if I have not been able to return to the physical body without bringing sadness and dread back with me ...and returning from sleep-etheric work with even more Light than I began was one of my first lessons! So is anyone else experiencing this? This momentary but intense morning dread? Is it that I live alone and no longer have touch available upon awakening that feeds the out of body negatives and allows them in through all my spiritual screens and protections? I work remotely and my family are all busy with their jobs during the day but all I have to do is ask and someone is ready with hugs and love and laughter....and yet each morning for the past few weeks I awaken with dread. I acknowledge it (because stuffing it or denying it only gives it power) and by the time I am actually up and moving around it dissipates, which is why I am wondering the cause. Maybe I need some new visuals for sleep protections? Clearly the war and all the brutal transitions and sorrows and fears are a part of it...but is that all?

I didn't intend any of that....just that I got my booster. Clearly Spirit wanted me to ask since I have deleted and written it all out again several times now...I am not sure this is the best thread to post it in ...but it is where I am and where the words are manifesting.

Thanks for reading. Journal writing for self is always good, but sometimes we need to share those "writing it out" moments and this wonderful forum is a safe and healing place to do just that.

Blessings & thanks, ❤️ 🌺 🌻 🌼 ❤️

Karrie

2ndfdl, JourneyWithMe2, earthangel and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

@tesseract I am very familiar with morning dread.  I've no insight to share, though I dearly wish I  did.  I merely endure it, and try to view it as having less meaning than I think it does. Perhaps there is some comfort in knowing you are not alone in this dreadful occurrence.

earthangel, Jeanne Mayell, raincloud and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Re: vaccine  My husband had his 2nd booster a couple of days ago.  He was very tired and low-energy the day after but today he was out cleaning up the yard when I was at work.  Yay.  

2ndfdl, Jeanne Mayell, lynn and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@tesseract @billy-mike

Well, I don't feel actual "dread" upon waking in the morning. (I do if I happen to wake at 3 AM or thereabouts  that's another situation.)

Instead of dread in the morning, I usually wish I could just keep sleeping and I'm kind of like "Oh crap another day, can I just go back to my interesting dreams?". So I have to make myself get out of bed and either take a shower immediately or go outside and listen to birds and look at the greenery to get myself perked up.  Showers are good, but nature is an especially awesome healer.  I don't know if this would help either of you, but it does help my attitude.  Especially observing the birds.    I have a bird feeder outside the kitchen window and near the back patio and in the morning there's always somebody having breakfast there. 

Jeanne Mayell, lynn, Lauren and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@melmystery)
Noble Member Registered

@ana @tesseract @billy-mike

I totally understand the morning dread.  In my case, I think it's more like Ana said, "Oh crap another day."  There has been so much to deal with in life the past several years (both individually and collectively) that I just feel that I'd rather sleep in than deal with the day's responsibilities or whatever weird out-of-the blue challenge might come up in my life or the world at large.  I used to have vivid dreams and was able to remember them the next day.  These days it's hit or miss whether I can remember any dreams from the night before.  That all said, I rarely get a day where I have the luxury to sleep in whether I'm having interesting dreams or not.

Since this thread is about the vaccine, I probably should mention something about the vaccine. :-)  A friend of mine got his second booster last Thursday and said it hit him hard on Friday.  He was feeling much better on Saturday.  It's been about six months since his first booster and the second was recommended by his doctor.  My Mom on the other hand is thinking of waiting until Fall to get her second booster as she feels that's the logical time to get both the booster and her flu shot before winter.

I got my first booster in December so I still have a month or two before considering the second booster.  Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is better to get the booster around six month mark or wait until fall?  I apologize if this has already been discussed in this thread.

Lauren, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@tesseract This post really resonated with me.  I've grappled with depression most of my adult life and only in the last year or so sought some treatment for it.  I'm in a similar boat - I have a good job, a stable, loving home, a good support network, etc - but I've always had what I call a "demon" whispering to me that I'm not good enough, that people don't like me, etc.  I fought that demon hard last year in particular as the pandemic brought me to a point where my mild depression was becoming all-consuming.  I'm better now but I've definitely felt it on the uptick again the past six weeks in particular.  I'm hopeful that as the snow leaves and the land around me begins to come out of hibernation that I'll be able to shake things off.  Part of it is exactly what you identified - me soaking in the collective energy whether I want to or not.  It's tough to manage.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

No booster for me - I'm only 42 (almost 43) and aside from a weight problem I'm still combating have no real pre-existing conditions that qualify me for ignoring the 50+ crowd number.  If things were to open up however I would gladly take a second booster and round my shots out to four.  I will continue to be the lone masker everywhere I go. 

2ndfdl, Lauren, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

@dannyboy I relate completely.  Thank you for your post.

You are not alone.

Lauren, CC21, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

I wonder if a forum related to depression/mental health would be appropriate and helpful.

JourneyWithMe2, CC21, DannyBoy and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@tesseract thanks for bringing up morning dread. And thanks to @melmystery, @ana and @billymike for weighing in.  I have it too, some days more than others.

It doesn’t matter how much good I do for others and myself in this world, it still arises.

Being in Nature helps, morning coffee really helps, hiking, gardening, getting my body moving is good for nearly everything that ails me.  The Circle of Light Loving Kindness meditation on Wednesday helps.  But most of all, it helps to read that so many empathic people also feel it during that moment between sleeping and waking.  

It makes me want to do better. It’s tricky because I can get into a self blame game.  What did I do wrong to bring on this feeling? I wonder.  Then I remember that scene in Shindler’s List when Shindler sobbed that he should have saved more people.

So if Shindler, who saved so many lives, still felt he should have done more, then it's normal for caring empathic people who feel the pain in the world, to continue feeling they too should be doing more. That feeling is just part of being an empath. 

Lauren, raincloud, Jujubeans7050 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@marigold)
Noble Member Registered

@dannyboy I too am the Lone Masker when I go out and about. And I live in a Blue college town! It feels a little odd but I remain resolute, thinking that it may provide encouragement to a fellow masker.

Had the second booster, Pfizer this time, with minimal side effects - chills, feeling odd for a day or so.

2ndfdl, Lauren, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 23 / 25
Share: