Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Summer Olympics- what will happen?

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone!

I decided to create this thread because Japan is supposed to host a rescheduled Olympics this summer.  But will the Olympics actually take place this summer or will they be postponed again?

Japan has just banned all foreign nationals from entering the country because of the new Covid strain in the UK.  So, this got me thinking, we will actually seee an Olympics this Summer, will it move to a bit later in the year or will it be next year before they occur?

I would love to see if our community  can try to pick up something on this.  The Olympics will be a big indicator of how the world is doing regarding  the virus.  If we have  them  this summer, is the virus under control or is it going to become  out of control because of thee travelers to the games?    Will crowd size be smaller?  Will Japan face major financial hurdles?

So, please consider throwing cards, mediating or whatever you like to do see if we can get a window into what the Olympics are going to look like in Japan.  IIt might give us a bigger window into the whole world. 

And it should be fun to what wee get.

Maggieci, Tiger-n-Owl, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

@lovendures Did a quick scan of the Olympics and saw an 89% chance of still happening. I see the number of affected people will half by Spring.

FEBbby23, Maggieci, Tiger-n-Owl and 5 people reacted
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Olympics are in the news.  Controversy stirring on whether they will be held this summer.  There is no plan B.  How can there be no plan B?  Honestly, Even if they do hold them in July after the postponement last year, I am not so sure how  the trials can be held.  

Japan hasn't even begun vaccinating people yet and they currently have a huge spike in cases.  

Officials for the International Olympic Committee are working to quiet concerns over a potential cancellation of the 2020 Tokyo Games -- which were rescheduled from last year, but retain the 2020 name -- according to the New York Times. Thomas Bach, the president of the IOC, went on Kyodo News in Japan to calm things down as coronavirus cases surge in Japan, along with the rest of the world.

"We have at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on the 23rd of July in the Olympic stadium in Tokyo," Bach said. "This is why there is no plan B and this is why we are fully committed to make these games safe and successful."

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/tokyo-olympics-2021-ioc-officials-still-plan-for-summer-games-as-reports-of-possible-cancellation-emerge/

Maggieci and Maggieci reacted
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

I originally saw this in the Daily Mail (a British tabloid), so I was hesitant to post it, but then I found the originating article in the Times, so it could be legit, even though Japanese officials are denying it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/japan-looks-for-a-way-out-of-tokyo-olympics-because-of-virus-lf868xfnd

Lovendures, Maggieci, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
(@dannyboy)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures I honestly think it's too soon.  I'm using Broadway as my point of reference for everything.  They're still sticking with "closed until June" and even then I think my twice delayed already Dear Evan Hansen tickets (now in August) are either going to be refunded or changed again.

Avon, Unk p, Coyote and 7 people reacted
Share: