Notifications
Clear all

All Things Olympics starting with Tokyo

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

@coyote 

I also watched the skateboarders live and loved how they supported each other and were thrilled for one another.  It was so refreshing and inspiring.

deetoo, CC21, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

So much wisdom in this thread. @coyote, @lovendures, @iradium, @cc1, I am drinking up your posts like ambrosia. To quote  @cc1, Yes, yes, yeppity-yes to everything you said!

So important how our greatest achievers in sport, the world's role models, have stepped away from their commercial sponsors and the Olympic Committee, and sent a message to us all about what it means to be heroic in these changing times.

It means to honor our whole selves, care for each other, while doing our penultimate best. 

So incredible that the athlete who the media and the commercial world chose to be the face of the Olympics was the very same person who turned the old paradigm of success at all

Lightworkers are dominating the headlines now, whereas before it was negative patriarchy. 

@coyote: that we had to drop the pretense of our unflappable young professional selves and focus on self care as we head into the maelstrom...I don't think anyone can get through these years of transition unless they bend with the storm, and "bending with the storm" sometimes means assuming the fetal position, so to speak.

@lovendures: So many golden quotes from you, too many. Just reread her words, Community!  Most of all I feel the beauty of how this all flowed, the good that flowed from one to all and back to one again.  It is a glimpse of the best of humanity.

@iradium  I think the actions of Simone Biles and Naomi Osaka are manifestations of the "turning".  COVID, among other things, has gotten people to stop, look around and see that the pursuit of extreme goals (including major career success)  may not always be worth the price of their mental health. 

@cc1 I completely agree that it felt very much like a large tipping point.

CC21 and CC21 reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

Another athlete that is making her voice known is track and field's Allyson Felix. She has recently spoken out about her treatment by former sponsor Nike (regarding maternity policies.) It led to her creating her own running shoe! ( https://saysh.com/)

https://www.today.com/parents/allyson-felix-was-terrified-speak-out-about-nike-today-t225859

"I never would have thought that using my voice would have led to NIKE changing their maternity policy for athletes and I definitely never would have thought it would lead to creating @bysaysh," Felix captioned the photo, referring to her new brand. "Keep going and keep speaking up, even if your voice shakes."

deetoo, Lovendures, Kateinpdx and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Illustrious Member Registered

Now that the (television) Olympic festival is over, I’m back to my normal Cassandra self on this subject. They might be able to pull off Paris ‘24, but Los Angeles ‘28 is looking flimsy.

I say that because the Olympic movement as we know it is built atop a lot of linear assumptions - namely, that environmental (and by extension, economic) conditions will be stable over a decade and thus allow host cities to adequately prepare. But we’re already seeing in real time that the environmental conditions we depend upon are changing fast, and that change will accelerate over the next 7 years. So I wouldn’t be surprised if natural calamity gets in the way of the Los Angeles games. I also think the Winter Olympics will be history after Milan ‘26. 

@jeanne-mayell You should rename this thread “All Things Olympics,” that way we can discuss here these broader subjects plus the Beijing games (which are only 6 months away). And there is a lot to unpack about Beijing ‘22. 

deetoo, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coyote Done.  Start unpacking.

deetoo, Coyote, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@the-happy-medium)
Reputable Member Registered

@coyote I loved that you folks were thinking about the Games - and while it's all over I wanted to share that my wife has been to every Olympic games since 1984 and I started in 1992. I hate crowds, sports and having to share tight spaces with people sweating their heads off.  But for those late summer days - when you're seated with folks from all over the world, cheering for others from all over the world - and despite the media focus on gold and tally the people get wound up with the narrative on the field and for those moments, you feel deeply that each of us are uniquely  "Citizens of the World" and that somehow, if we can all come together for this, that somehow it will be all right.....this hard earth will keep spinning and we will keep trying, despite our flaws, to achieve and celebrate our own beauty.  And when there is a callout as the end of the games,.."for the youth of the world to come together in another four years...." that future presumption, that the youth upcoming, will be faster, higher, stronger, and together keeps the flame alive.  #paris2024

deetoo, Coyote, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@the-happy-medium 

It must be wonderful being in a crowd where together you can feel such wonderful moments of inspiration.  Hope you can get to the next summer Olympics in Paris.

@coyote

I believe Los Angeles has good infrastructure already in place to handle their Olympics.  I do appreciate your thoughts on how the Olympics may have issues with stability though in future years however.  It is in danger for sure and certainly the Winter ones.  I felt this Olympics had a major shift in a positive direction.  I really found myself rooting for the some inspiring young ( and older) people.  It was a nice and needed break from all that has come before during the past 5 years. 

deetoo, Coyote, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Possible Covid cluster in the Olympic Village at the Tokyo Paralympics. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/25/two-more-paralympic-athletes-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-tokyo-village

deetoo and deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

This an amazing story!!

If you want to feel what is right with the world, read the whole story about the Refugee Paralympic Team members in Tokyo.

“The Refugee Paralympic Team is more than a team, it’s a family,” Al Hussein says.  “It’s giving hope to the 12 million displaced people around the world with a disability.  I want to send them a message that nothing is impossible to continue things no matter what happens.  I am here as an example.”

https://www.paralympic.org/news/al-hussein-open-much-awaited-refugee-paralympic-team-participation-tokyo-2020

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Yikes!

Toyota said on Friday it had suspended all self-driving e-Palette transportation pods at the Tokyo Paralympic Games village, a day after one of the vehicles collided with and injured a visually impaired pedestrian. The athlete hit had yet to compete and was taken to the Olympic village center for treatment and was able to walk back to their housing area.

Toyota Chief Executive Akio Toyoda apologized for the incident and said he offered to meet the person but was unable to do so.  He said the accident showed the difficulty for the self-driving vehicle to operate in the special circumstances of the village during the Paralympics with people there who are visually impaired or have other disabilities.

“It shows that autonomous vehicles are not yet realistic for normal roads,” he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/toyota-suspends-self-driving-vehicles-after-accident-olympic-village-n1277849

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Here is a great story about a blind 17 year old Paralympian young lady who just won a swimming gold.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/29/sport/paralympics-anastasia-pagonis-gold-medal-trnd/index.html

ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

@coyote I understand WHY the Olympics are held the way they are ... picking host nations, and all that comes with that ... but I have felt for years that there should be one summer location, one winter location, and it's their job to prepare and host. An Olympic committee with reps from all the nations working together in one space to pull it off, rather than wasting billions of dollars on structures, all the disruptions, the environmental impact, the impact on local infrastructure, etc.

deetoo, MtGal99, raincloud and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

2 Afghan Paralympic athletes made it to Tokyo to participate in the games with international help.  That is an amazing feast. One was a woman which is even more amazing.  Not sure what will happen to them after the games. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/1032841998/afghan-athletes-competing-tokyo-paralympic-games

ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

@the-happy-medium @lovendures

I'm not wishing the Games will be disrupted, but the instability of the world right now is something to consider. The way western Germany and Belgium were hit by catastrophic flooding this summer, there's nothing guaranteeing that that can't happen in Paris right before their opening ceremony. So I'm keeping in mind that linearity is an illusion...

Vesta, Lovendures, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Best story I have read in...eons.

When I read it. I felt that it is a perfect example of where humanity is moving towards. This is the type of world I want to live an and the type of world I believe humanity is moving toward. 

The number 1 ranked  World Champion Speed Skater Erin Jackson missed out on making the U.S. Olympic team because of a slip during the qualifying trials.  Her teammate Brittany Bowe, who won the event, gave up her spot, allowing Jackson to make the team.

Bowe, 33, will still compete in the 1,000m and 1,500m events in Beijing.

"First and foremost, Erin has earned her right to be on this 500 meter team -- she's ranked number one in the world and no one's more deserving than her to get an opportunity to bring Team USA home a medal," Bowe said.

"After that unfortunate slip, I knew in my mind before that night was even over that if it had to come down to a decision of mine, she could have my place," she added.
Jackson said she was "grateful and humbled" by Bowe's kindness.

I am so happy both skaters will be on the team and compete in their best events.  

The actions of Bowie will inspire countless other individuals.  She will be a pebble thrown into a pond, the ripples will reach far and wide.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/sport/erin-jackson-brittany-bowe-speedskating-intl-spt/?iid=ob_lockedrail_longstory_pool

Vesta, 2ndfdl, Maggieci and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Well, this has been quite the Olympics so far.

Lots of controversy. 

Some great highlights. Mental health challenges. Covid upheaval.  China controversy and Russian doping, again.

Biles and Vonn rallying around Mikeala Shiffrin and addressing mental health, that was awesome.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/09/mikaela-shiffrin-winter-olympics-dq-slalom-simone-biles-lindsey-vonn

Kamila Valievas doping controversy which may lead to US team gold medal. Medal ceremony still delayed.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/ioc-appeal-lifting-kamila-valievas-provisional-suspension-over-positive-test

Major issues with athlete covid quarantine conditions. Horrible food, no internet, no training equipment  and dirty rooms. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/06/1078570937/olympic-athletes-covid-isolation

Another China created Olympic controversy.  Canadian born athlete hockey player for China, not allowed to take questions in English. ( I have no desire to visit China right  now  ever).  There are so many other places I would rather spend my future tourist vacation dollars in.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/beijing-winter-olympics-2022-canadian-born-chinese-goalie-barred-from-speaking-english-031557965.html

Major ski jumping suite controversy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/five-athletes-disqualified-mixed-team-ski-jumping-event-suits-rcna15457

Loved watching Shawn White.  Really proud of him and his forth place finish.

Dutch speed skater Ireen Wüst became the first athlete ever to win an individual gold medal in five Olympics

Nathan Chen, I closed my eyes while watching.

Loved the Mixed Team Ariels.  Wow!  First time Olympic event and the US won. 

Yay Chloe Kim and Lindsey Jacobellis.  

There is actually a lot to celebrate about the Olympics.  SO many beautiful stories, in spite of the government of China being...China.

Maggieci and Maggieci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

Between being in the hospital and convalescing at home I’ve been watching much more of the games than I thought I would. I’m happy for Jacobellis. I remember her wiping out just before the finish line 16 years ago.

JourneyWithMe2, Pegesus, raincloud and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coyote

I’m happy for Jacobellis. I remember her wiping out just before the finish line 16 years ago.

I know!  That happened so many years ago too. I am happy for her also.

Glad you can watch them this year.  There is always something positive to find in them. I hope you will be. much improved by the time they are finished @Coyote.

raincloud, JourneyWithMe2, raincloud and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

I wrote about Erin Jackson above.

The rest of the story happened today.  I will not spoil it but...

To me, this is the story of the Olympics.  After the race it airs tonight, I can't wait to share my thoughts because I really want to talk about it.  

And I just love the continued story with Jacobellis and her teammate Nick Baumgartner yesterday?  What a story!!!

Their story I will post below for those who haven't seen it.  For Erin, I will wait for those who would like to see it for themselves first. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/12/1080321427/u-s-snowboarders-lindsey-jacobellis-and-nick-baumgartner-make-history-in-beijing

raincloud and raincloud reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

If I were Sha'Carri Richardson I would also be upset.  The rules need to apply to everyone.  Especially Russia who is already in trouble for doping.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/594180-shacarri-richardson-questions-decision-to-allow-russian-figure-skater-to?fbclid=IwAR0ObJMqcetzVLdwtcqndoJ5IfSbx7QuGTqoEGm9l1kRbQdmUVXM-tFloM4

2ndfdl and 2ndfdl reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: