Notifications
Clear all

All Things Olympics starting with Tokyo

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Lydia Jacoby!  What a swimming performance! What an Olympic moment!

Jeanne Mayell, CC21, 2ndfdl and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Ok.  We must talk Simone Biles and mental health.

I give Simone major support and appreciation for doing something quite dramatic and unheard of for her mental health.  Pulling out of the team competition while the event was taking place. 

She is quite brave and will now become a roll model for others dealing with stress and emotional strife.  She is going to help redefine what it means to be a champion and we should all be grateful for the awareness she is providing. 

Japan's Naomi Osaka has also been struggling with dealing with intense pressure of late.  I cheer them on for recognizing their mental health struggles, bringing attention to it  and putting their health first. 

We have no idea how difficult it was for her to withdraw from the team event finals, how much pressure has been placed upon her shoulders.  My respect goes to her and her choice to put herself first.   

Let's sent her and all the athletes in the limelight or even in the shadows who are also feeling incredible stress a lot of light, healing  and love during these games.  May they feel supported and cared for, my they find good mental and physical health.  May their lights shine brightly.

I hope Simone will be able to compete in future Olympic events. I want that victory for her personally.  I am really proud of her right now.  May the highest and greatest good come from her actions. 

Thank you Simone and I wish you peace, love, healing  and gratitude.  

ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell, Barbara and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures   I think the actions of Simone Biles and Naomi Osaka are manifestations of the "turning".  COVID, among other things, has gotten people to stop, look around and see that the pursuit of extreme goals (including major career success)  may not always be worth the price of their mental health.  

Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures, CC21 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@lovendures @ana I totally agree with you both. @ana I had a similar thought today about Simone Biles (and your mention of Naomi Osaka) as this being a real turning point and manifestation of "the turning." This feels big and like a spotlight moment for sports and as you said other extreme goals or competition to the exclusion of all else that it may not be worth the price paid.

I saw a mention on Twitter today about how the Kerri Strug vault from 1996 has not aged well. At the time it was seen as so "inspiring", but as it was phrased today, the coaches let her vault on a broken foot so that they could win the gold. Not trying to take anything away from that team's accomplishments, but it shows how very far we have come since then to have Simone Biles say today that her mind wasn't in the right place and she didn't want to injure herself. Such strength and self-knowledge to be able to say that and step away like she did! She mentioned a thanks to all the other athletes who have come out publicly in recent years discussing their mental health struggles. It feels very much like we are starting to shift as a society. I find it a very hopeful sign.

Vesta, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@cc21 @Ana

Agreed.  It is part to the turning. Also, yes, Keri should need have been put in the position of vaulting on a broken leg.  

Michele Phelps has a new documentary he narrated about stress on athletes, he has been open about his mental health challenges.  We need to rethink our expectations of athletes.  Anyone in the line light.  Even those not in the line light but just trying to navigate life.

Vesta, Jeanne Mayell, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @lovendures

@cc21 @Ana

Agreed.  It is part to the turning. Also, yes, Keri should need have been put in the position of vaulting on a broken leg.  

Michele Phelps has a new documentary he narrated about stress on athletes, he has been open about his mental health challenges.  We need to rethink our expectations of athletes.  Anyone in the line light.  Even those not in the line light but just trying to navigate life.

Mentioning the "limelight" reminds me of the Rush song by that name (I love Rush):

"Living on a lighted stage approaches the unreal
For those who think and feel
In touch with some reality beyond the gilded cage
Cast in this unlikely role, ill-equipped to act
With insufficient tact
One must put up barriers to keep oneself intact"

CC21, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

I am a huge Katie Ledecky fan!!

What an outstanding woman all the way around!

CC21, Vesta, CC21 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

An explosive WP article came out today about Simone Biles, the USOCP and USA Gymnastics. Keep in mind what Biles recently said about USA Gymnastics and the USOPC in an NBC interview:  “If there weren’t a remaining survivor in the sport, they would’ve just brushed it to the side ".

The whole disgusting Nassar child rapist cover-up is even more upsetting than we and even Biles knew at the time.  I feel we owe hear a great deal.  Let's focus on sending her a lot of healing light and energy during the remaining part of her time at the Olympics and beyond.  She deserves our time and attention.

Here is part of that article:

It’s a perilous endeavor to project what Biles, the most uniquely superior gymnast in the world, is feeling or thinking at this juncture. But she has been frank about these things: her profound lingering distrust of USA Gymnastics and the USOPC  and her conviction they will not do right by her and other athletes of their own accord. Remember, if it wasn’t for Biles bringing her clout to the issue, these users would still be making women train in the buggy squalor of the Karolyi Ranch, the USOPC-sanctioned hellhole where they were molested.

It was only two weeks ago that the Justice Department’s inspector general released a report on the Nassar case, in which Biles learned in new infuriating detail how corrupt officials hushed up evidence that the gymnastics doctor was a serial sex assaulter and how then-USAG chief Steve Penny traded favors with local FBI agent Jay Abbott to bottom-drawer it.

Documents produced in a long-stalled civil suit against USOPC and USAG have brought other aggravating recent revelations. One in particular is worth looking at, in light of what happened to Biles on the vaulting floor in Tokyo on July 27, 2021. That’s the day Biles became so disoriented on her vault that she couldn’t risk competing in the team finals.

As chance would have it, that’s the same date that, six years earlier, Steve Penny threw her to the wolf.

On July 27, 2015, Biles was an 18-year-old world champion who arrived at USAG headquarters in Indianapolis for a series of appearances to promote one of their events. For two days, Biles signed autographs and did other favors to please USAG officials. Penny personally drove Biles and her mother to some of the functions and had extended conversations with her, according to John Manly, an attorney for Biles and other victims. Biles even appeared at a birthday party for Penny’s daughter.

You know what Penny failed to mention over those two days? In fact, failed to breathe so much as a word of, much less warn her of? The fact that he had credible evidence Nassar was a molester.

If you think conduct like this is past tense for these organizations, think again. Throughout 2020 and 2021, the USOPC and USAG have perpetuated their coverup with civil court motions. They have hidden from accountability with bankruptcy proceedings. They have demanded that in exchange for any civil settlement, Biles and others who suffered Nassar’s assaults issue blanket liability releases that would protect a rogue’s gallery of well-known abusers, as well as Penny. And they have fought to keep the depositions of Penny, Blackmun and former chairman Larry Probst under seal.

Under seal.

Does that sound like these organizations have turned over a new leaf and become more “athlete-centered?” They had the nerve to feign support for Biles this week. They are not her supporters. They are her tormentors.

The price for winning all those gold medals is that Biles now gets to be analyzed by every armchair psychologist in the world. Here’s a bulletin. She’s not doing so well. And exactly how well should she be doing under these circumstances? “It’s like fighting all those demons coming in here,” she said after the team competition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/29/simone-biles-larry-nassar-fbi/

CC21, Jess, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures Thank you for posting this information, which is important to share. All I knew was how much I felt for that girl when she decided she could not compete but it is amazing that it was on a significant anniversary of her trauma.

I can attest personally to the negligence of the U.S. Olympic Committee from the experience of a close friend whose son was killed in an Alpine avalanche while training as part of the developmental U.S. Olympic ski team.  I'm not at liberty to share details but I think it is obvious from anyone who read the news that these kids had flown to Switzerland as part of the Olympic training and were out by themselves on Alpine trails with no adult supervision, no warnings from coaches, and no tracking gear in case of avalanches. Two of the boys were killed. The Olympic committee kept so much secret about their negligence and more. Nothing detrimental to the USOC came out in the news. So here we are with yet another male dominated lucrative sports enterprise that needs work.

CC21, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

I know we have discussed sunflowers plenty in the last year. @baba had a prediction from August 2020 of "sunflowers in the news" and there have been various confirmations of this with sunflowers representing women's suffrage and this year (2021) being the year of the sunflower (in gardenting.)

But during this Olympics I couldn't help but notice the bouquets that medalists are receiving -- they have sunflowers in them! The symbolism is discussed in this recent article from yesterday (July 21, 2021):

Tokyo Olympics: The medal winners' flowers that pay tribute to 2011 disaster

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/58038026

JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell, earthangel and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@cc21 

Oh!  That is a wonderful thing to have noticed !! Thanks.

CC21, JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

This really could go in the great turning section.

I am amazed actually.

3 members of the Mens U.S. Fencing team wore pink masks today in honor of victims of sexual assault while their fellow teammate wore a black mask.  

A group of six female fencers had written to U.S. Olympic officials less than two weeks after Alen Hadzic, 29, ( The one with the black mask) secured a spot as an alternate on the U.S. Olympic fencing team to express deep concerns about the impact his presence might have on the other athletes.  Hadzic has been accused of rape and sexual assault. 

This photo is worth a thousand words. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-fencing-pink-masks_n_61055c02e4b000b997e24747

CC21, Jeanne Mayell, earthangel and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

A Belarusian sprinter was under the protection of Japanese authorities Monday, a day after she made a dash for freedom at a Tokyo-area airport, claiming her team was forcing her to return home after she publicly criticized her coaches at the Olympics.

The Polish government was the first to offer Krystsina Tsimanouskaya a safe haven.

The Czechs also offered to take in Tsimanouskaya, and the BSSF said she may seek asylum in Germany or Austria.

CC21, JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lovendures

A Belarusian sprinter was under the protection of Japanese authorities Monday, a day after she made a dash for freedom at a Tokyo-area airport, claiming her team was forcing her to return home after she publicly criticized her coaches at the Olympics.

The Polish government was the first to offer Krystsina Tsimanouskaya a safe haven.

The Czechs also offered to take in Tsimanouskaya, and the BSSF said she may seek asylum in Germany or Austria.

Following up on the Belarusian sprinter.  She is now in Poland and shared more of her harrowing journey today.  She was forced to leave the games by her higher ups and on the way to the airport, her grandmother warned her it was unsafe to go back to her country. The media there was saying she had mental issues and the public was encouraged to write distressing social media posts about her. 

The athlete said she used Google translate to show officials a translated plea for help on her phone as she tried to avoid being put on a plane back home. 

The 24-year-old said she decided to go to Poland in hopes of being able to continue her sports career.

She also said that she chose to seek refuge in the country because she knew her parents and husband would not have trouble visiting the country.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/belarus-olympic-sprinter-says-she-fled-after-family-s-warning-n1276027

CC21, Jeanne Mayell, CC21 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Why Simone Biles Matters.

Sometimes my intuitive self will say: "Pay attention, this thing which is happening is really important." 

I have learned to pay attention. My intuitive self told me to pay attention when the first rumblings of Covid began to surface the first week of January 2020.  I searched the internet for news ( Thank you The Guardian news, for being on top of the virus in the early stages)  and created the first Covid thread here on Jeanne's site.  I couldn't prove it was important, I just felt it was important.

I paid attention when Simone withdrew from the team competition.  It was a "knowing" that this was a really important action.  I believe I stated here in this thread it was important.  I was more than the "Greatest gymnast of all time" withdrawing.  It was knowing that her withdrawal mattered.  That it would have a ripple effect that would be impactful. 

She is uniquely positioned  to be a light like no other and she CHOSE to be that light in a dramatic and beautiful way. The weight of the the world was absolutely placed upon her shoulders.  All those massive expectations.  There  is a reason why she is here at this time with all of her accomplishments, with all  she has achieved and persevered through in her 24 short years of life. She is a light beacon to guide others and create a path through uncharted territory for the whole world to see, to follow if the dare. 

Look at what all has taken place since she stepped aside to focus on her mental health:

- every member of the team was able  to compete in a final event and earn a medal.  That could not have happened if she did not withdraw.  Especially for MyKayla Skinner who was not selected for the team competition and was 4th in the preliminary round for vault but did not qualify for the finals because of the 2 person per country rule.  Simone gave MyKayla the opportunity to compete and she ended up with a silver medal. 

- she showed how there is this incredible balance when choosing to take care of yourself and how it connects with taking care of others.  Well-being for all.  Simone's bowing out opened the door to her teammates and they were ready.  Everything that happened was for the greater good including the fact that she was able to come  back and ultimately do am event on beam which in fact earned her a bronze individual medal.   They achieved more as individuals and they came together more as a team. 

-from her actions, others at the Olympics also became focused on mental health,  spoke out and had a much bigger platform and audience to share their struggles and thoughts. This in turn is opening eyes.  IT WILL CHANGE HOW WE TREAT ALL SORTS OF ATHLETES MOVING FORWARD. ALL types of things. It opens the door wide open for student sport players to say: "I need to take a time out for myself" or" I am not at my best, I need to give the team a chance to take it from here".  A new way of thinking will begin to take place.  People will have a chance to learn how to become more mindful, to speak up, to feel, not bury emotions.

-she humanized athletes.

-she is still holding the USA Gymnastics accountable for the crap they have been responsible for over the years. More is to come from her on this, I just know it.  Wait for it.  She has alluded to a few things already like not being given time to process her last outcome with the Olympics before being made to go on tour with the team across the country. I believe we are going to find out more on just how controlling and dark this Olympic body has been over the years.

I felt she was going to win a bronze on beam just before she competed.  I also felt she would feel this was the most meaningful medal of all and she has since stated this to be true.  I stayed up to watch her compete live because I felt it would be an important moment and I wanted to throw some small amount of light her way as she completed, to do my part to  support her for her most incredible journey. 

I believe her legacy will be more than simply the greatest of all time. Biles said she wouldn’t change anything about these Tokyo Games because it gave her a chance to talk about the issue of mental health. My dear, you were a lighthouse on the subject. 

Here are a few other things I discovered which have happened which are worth noting about the ripples of her journey. 

-Cecile Landi her coach said she expected Biles to go through therapy when she returns home. Landi said she, too, would talk to a therapist because “it has been one hell of a week.”  (The fact that her coach is speaking of her own mental health is important.)

-When Biles  visited the Olympic Village after the team final, she said, she “felt kind of embarrassed with myself” when athletes kept praising her for valuing her mental health over victories. It was such an overwhelming idea that people would take her side, and that she would be a role model in doing so, that she broke out in tears in an Olympic store there. ( See the ripple effects here?  She also saw how one person can impact others).

This observation from The NYT made me cry. 

-With the stands on one end of the Ariake Gymnastics Centre nearly packed with admirers, including Thomas Bach, the president of the International Olympic Committee, Biles waved when her name was announced for the balance beam final to a roar of cheers. They were not paying customers — spectators have been barred from almost every Olympic event because of the coronavirus pandemic — but they were clearly here to see Biles in what might have been her final performance as an elite gymnast.

I think this observation from Biles is also important, for every person that is in the public eye, dancer, actor, sports figure and  musician, young or old.

“At the end of the day, we’re not just entertainment, we’re humans,” Biles said. “And I think people forget that.”

Most of all I feel the beauty of how this all flowed, the good that flowed from one to all and back to one again.  
It is a glimpse of the best of humanity.

This thing that just happened.  It matters!

Jeanne Mayell, Coyote, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@barbarmar22)
Prominent Member Registered

@lovendures - I read a recent article in NY Times about the Japanese athletes competing. They apologize to their country and families when they don't win the gold, even if they won silver or bronze. It made me sad to think of these wonderful, talented young people whose efforts are not appreciated. I was taught that win or lose,  do my best and my parents will be proud of me and I should be proud of myself.

There may be some here who will say this is cultural and I should not judge through my American culture eyes. That may be so; yet I think anyone who just gets to compete in the Olympics has already shown they are exceptional athletes. 

Jeanne Mayell, Coyote, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@barbarmar22 

Agreed.  I do respect the beautiful differences of so many cultures.  However, feeling the need to offer an apology when not winning at the Olympic is very sad indeed.  

Jeanne Mayell, CC21, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@lovendures

Yes, yes, yeppity-yes to everything you said! I had the same intuitive feeling as the news about Simone's withdrawal played out over the last week(s). As you said, "This in turn is opening eyes.  IT WILL CHANGE HOW WE TREAT ALL SORTS OF ATHLETES MOVING FORWARD."

Weirdly, it felt very much like it all happened as it should, and the way it played out definitely provided a much larger platform and impact than it would have otherwise. I completely agree that it felt very much like a large tipping point.

Jeanne Mayell, Coyote, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

@lovendures 

When the pandemic first started, I posted a message on a forum for my AmeriCorps co-members in Massachusetts. I basically said that we had to drop the pretense of our unflappable young professional selves and focus on self care as we head into the maelstrom. Biles basically said the same thing but amplified the message by 1,000,000,000. She is not just a role model for athletes or other public figures; she is telling everyone that it's okay to fall apart a bit. 

I don't think anyone can get through these years of transition unless they bend with the storm, and "bending with the storm" sometimes means assuming the fetal position, so to speak.

CC21, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

The men’s and women’s marathons were moved to Sapporo in order to avoid Tokyo’s sultry heat. But on Saturday during the women’s marathon the temperature in Sapporo will be the same as Tokyo - 90 degrees. A reminder that formerly cool places are no longer reliably cool. 

On a lighter note, I really enjoyed skateboarding’s debut. I stayed up to watch live coverage of both the men’s and women’s park finals, and watching those events was a huge antidote to the palpable tension of other Olympic contests. The camaraderie between the skaters was great; they clearly love the art form and were celebrating being at the Olympics, regardless of whether they medaled.

CC21, Lovendures, CC21 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: