Notifications
Clear all

Recipes & Food that make you happy

(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@ana 

Thank you for the soup recipes; I often make turkey tortilla soup but I am not in the mood for it this year.

I would guess that I have cooked at least 30 turkeys in my life---probably more, but this year was the very best one I have produced. I used a NYT recipe for brine and buttermilk and the meat was the most moist and delicious ever! (Though I did start with a Vermont-raised organic turkey)

Also, Lovendures, ahem, I would love that brussels sprout dish recipe. In case it helps next year, I will impart a tip I learned from Julia Childs; one can always crank up the heat on a turkey to hasten cooking. The second best turkey I ever made was her "blasted turkey" ..high heat for a short time and out came a completely brown, crispy skinned, truly roasted bird. The drippings of both also yielded topnotch gravy.

deetoo, Aheartbegins, JourneyWithMe2 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

Hooray for leftovers that with a few tweaks change it up in to a new dish!

deetoo, DannyBoy, Aheartbegins and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

I cooked for 14, 12 of whom showed up!  It was wonderful to prepare that much food for dinner guests at the dinner table we bought a few years back but haven't entertained with.  We spent several days cleaning I cooked starting at 7 a.m. on the big day but my heart was full and happy when it was happening.

I made a metric ton of Turkey bone broth which is now in my fridge and freezer.  Next week when I'm back to Keto I plan to drink it all on a bone broth fast to get some of the last two months of bad eating off of me but also to transition back to ketosis without the dreaded keto flu.  I'm looking forward to my joints not aching again, (evaporating joint pain is a wonderful side effect once I've been in Ketosis for a few weeks!)  And we'll still have leftovers for days, much of which I'll be able to eat as I transition back in!  It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope you all had a great one too!

deetoo, Maggieci, JourneyWithMe2 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @journeywithme2

Hooray for leftovers that with a few tweaks change it up in to a new dish!

So it looks like your turkey salad and cranberry stuff are on the right---- is the dish on the left butternut squash soup?  Looks good. 

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ana thank you for that. Going to make it tomorrow. 

Iridium, JourneyWithMe2, Iridium and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ana thank you for the turkey soup. Going to make it tomorrow. 

deetoo, Iridium, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@ana yes... leftover oven roasted butternut squash,carrots and sweet potato - put in a pot with some chicken broth, rubbed sage, thyme,rosemary, himalayan salt brought to a boil, immersion blenderized smooth, added half n half and simmered till good n hot, ladled into bowls and some fresh microplaned nutmeg over the top and served. Warming, rich,savory layers of flavor.

deetoo, Iridium, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@raincloud, I brined a turkey breast in buttermilk and it was very moist and flavorful.  I frequently use buttermilk to brine chicken that I roast, and it always turns out beautifully.  Thanks also for the Julia Childs' suggestion about the high heat.

@journeywithme2, your description of the turkey soup is making my mouth water!  I'm going to try that.  Oh, I forgot to mention:  I made the sugar-free pumpkin pie with the almond flour crust.  I thought the crust was awful, although my husband said he liked it.  (I think he was just being nice.)  I should have used the nut crust recipe you shared with me.  Did you get a chance to make the butternut squash pie?  It sounded fabulous. 

ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Do any of you have good recipes for Indian food that aren't too spicy?  When I eat out I enjoy saag paneer, shani paneer, aloo gobi, chana masala, chole, dal, but sometimes the dishes can be way too spicy for me. 

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

http://www.lflinderhof.com/2011/04/courtland-buttermilk-pecan-pie.html

No.. I haven't tried it yet. We went with the buttermilk pecan pie made by the recipe above. It's killer good.. and.. only need a small slice..quite sweet. Goes well with a nice cup of black coffee.

ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@journeywithme2 

ooh, interesting pie recipe. It is perhaps a cousin to the southern "chess pie?" I will make it tomorrow!

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@raincloud   Yes, some have described it as a cross between chess pie and pecan pie... a very old recipe. Very rich. A little slice goes a long way!

raincloud and raincloud reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 14
Share: