Notifications
Clear all

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

(@coyote)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

While we were all looking at the Atlantic, Cyclone Ianos formed in the Mediterranean, caused flooding in Greece, and seems to have become the strongest ever "medicane" on record.

This all happened last week, and I'm only just finding out about it. So 2020...

Grace, Avon, DolphinSpirit and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coyote Maybe the title of the topic should be 2020 Storms.  I didn't even know they had cyclones in the Mediterranean. Is this another part of the climate future?  

Grace, DolphinSpirit, Grace and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell

I didn't know there could be cyclones in the Mediterranean too until today. I did some research, and while it seems like 'tropical-like cyclones" in the Mediterranean aren't necessarily new, they aren't as well-studied or as culturally prominent as hurricanes. I do think we can expect more and stronger cyclonic storms in unusual bodies of water going into the future. I remember reading an article once (I don't remember the name or where it was published) about how decreased wind shear from atmospheric warming could give rise to tropical cyclones in the Persian Gulf...

Avon, Jeanne Mayell, Avon and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@coyote

WOW!  I didn't know any of this and I lived in Greece ( short period of time) when I was 23.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I threw a few cards on the remainder of the 2020 hurricane season.  I got something coming in October that will be known for how low the barometric pressure falls.  Looks like a big trough.  The lowest recorded pressure in The Atlantic was in October 2005 - 26.05 inches.

According to Wikipedia, the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season "has featured tropical cyclone formation at an unprecedented rate. It is also the fifth consecutive above-average hurricane season, dating back to 2016. So far, it has featured a total of 24 tropical or subtropical cyclones, 23 named storms, 8 hurricanes, and 2 major hurricanes.[nb 1] With 23 named storms, it is already the second most active Atlantic hurricane season on record, behind only the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season.

JourneyWithMe2, Ms. C., Coyote and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

We now have TS Gamma in the Gulf.  Delta is about ready too.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Say hello to Delta!  When Delta makes landfall in the US later this week it will make history as the 10th storm to make landfall in one season. It is also the earliest 25th named storm on record.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/tropical-storm-delta-breaks-record-earliest-25th-named-storm-n1242112

JourneyWithMe2, Ms. C., JourneyWithMe2 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Hurricane Delta has soared to a Cat 4 hurricane and is growing.  It looks like it's path will take it to Louisiana, but is going to cause some mayhem off the Yucatan Peninsula first. It may make a "catastrophic" strike to Cancun shortly.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-10-06-hurricane-delta-forecast-caribbean-united-states-projected-path  

FEBbby23, Unk p, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

Prayers going up for all in her path. Sending calming and deflecting energy Hurricane Delta's way

earthangel, FEBbby23, Stargazer and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Prayers for all in the path of Delta.  Her arrival is expected in Louisiana Friday morning.

deetoo, FEBbby23, November and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Topic starter  

In case anyone's forgotten, hurricane season is still active. Tropical Storm Epsilon just formed southwest of Bermuda and could be at hurricane strength by the time it moves over the island.

Vesta, deetoo, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@coyote

I felt like I wanted to pull some cards on this, so I pulled three (Thoth deck):

Valour (7 Wands) ; Prince of Wands; Ruin (10 Swords)

The image on the Valour card made me think that Epsilon will gain strength, but then fizzle a bit/be blocked from strengthening? Then seeing the Prince of Wands, I sense will burst forth with renewed strength. Then I pulled Ruin, which makes me feel like it will be quite devastating where it does hit land.

Vesta, Avon, Coyote and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

I just looked at the hurricane map for TS Epsilon. It is still way out in the Atlantic, but I had a thought of the Carolinas (North Carolina, in particular) through Virginia and the Delmarva Peninsula should watch out for this one. I may be totally off-base, but wanted to document it here.

Vesta, Avon, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @cc21

@coyote

I felt like I wanted to pull some cards on this, so I pulled three (Thoth deck):

Valour (7 Wands) ; Prince of Wands; Ruin (10 Swords)

The image on the Valour card made me think that Epsilon will gain strength, but then fizzle a bit/be blocked from strengthening? Then seeing the Prince of Wands, I sense will burst forth with renewed strength. Then I pulled Ruin, which makes me feel like it will be quite devastating where it does hit land.

Could "Ruin" mean ruin for the storm itself?  (fizzling out?) 

Coyote, CC21, Coyote and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@ana

Could be!! I appreciate your interpretation. I am definitely new at the cards, so I love hearing how these could be interpreted by others.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Epsilon is now a hurricane and will approach Bermuda on Thursday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/epsilon-strengthens-hurricane-charges-toward-bermuda-n1244106

ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@cc21   How did you phrase the question you posed when pulling the cards? ( In any divination, prayer, wish, etc. it is important to choose words that are most likely to get the precise answers or results you want. )

CC21 and CC21 reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@ana

I think I just phrased it as a general, "tell me about tropical storm Epsilon" but later, when I looked at the map for Epsilon, I went with my intuition on the location. I may try again with the cards and use some different phrasing to see what I get.

ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@cc21  OK, so that is quite general.  If you want to know whether it will impact land and cause a lot of damage, you could phrase it more in those terms. 

CC21 and CC21 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Say hello to Zeta.

TS Zeta is may be headed to the gulf.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: