Trump says he will ...

Notifications
Clear all

Trump says he will end birthright citizenship via executive order

(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter  

From the United States Constitution:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

On this sad day, as the murdered begin to be laid to rest in Pittsburgh, Trump  in a new interview says that he plans to overturn this Constitutional guarantee by executive order.

President Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said yesterday in an exclusive interview for "Axios on HBO.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump said, declaring he can do it by executive order.

https://www.axios.com/trump-birthright-citizenship-executive-order-0cf4285a-16c6-48f2-a933-bd71fd72ea82.html

I sincerely hope that this will not occur, but the fact that Trump is admitting it is his plan is frightening. 

My own parents - the first in their families to be born in America to parents who were not yet naturalized - would not have qualified for citizenship under Trump's reasoning.   And that means neither would I.

Michele, Jeanne Mayell, Michele and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
Illustrious Member Registered

In his mind, this move serves 3 purposes. 1. To rile the base right before the election, 2. To test his actual power in the face of the constitution, and 3. To test the loyalty of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh when/if it makes it to the Supreme Court. 

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Rosieheart and MAS1581,
Could you copy and paste your posts under Immigration, please.
Trumps actions are directly related to denial of immigration rights.
(And taking away current or potential voters)

The forum there already has a number of posts on this news.
Your posts and your comments are so
valuable. And needed there. It also would alter the citizenship
of many Russian children born during "visits (and on Trump properties).
Not sure if he considered that ? so its not only an
immigration/non-citizenship issue in the U.S. for Mexican but many
other children born here currently having dual citizenship and
therefore having International implications.

ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks, Michele!   I didn't realize this was already being discussed in the Immigration thread in the International section.  I'll join the discussion there!  

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: