Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Satirical Comedy and Climate CHange

(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, Happy new year!

In Quebec, every December 31 we look forward to the two or three satirical show recapping the year that's just past.  It brings people back to serious issues and how the people involved or the citizens reacted to the situation or the news.  One of those shows is called Infoman.  He is a journalist/comedian doing real reporting, with the real people involved, including all premiers in each provinces and Canada's Prime Minister.  He will go mostly all over Canada, from time to time he will go all over the world.  Last night, he spent close to 60% on climate change.

First, I must say he pent a good deal of time with Justin Trudeau recapping the year from the Prime Minister had.  It was an election year, full of scandals.  But he did put Trudeau to task in regards to cimate change, pipelines, etc.  I was very happy about that.  Canada has very nice citizens but we suck with climate change, specially in the province of Quebec. 

He marched in Montreal with Greta Thunberg in Montreal and being part of the people helping protect her from being crushed by the crowd.  He again brought back climate change when meeting with Quebec's Pemier Ministre. 

He met with Jane Fonda about climate change where she mentionned her disappointment with Justin Trudeau.  He gave the message to Trudeau, who couldn't shrug it off.

He then met with the Icelander Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir.  She is the first leader of a green political party ever elected to lead a country in the world!  He had gone there in August for the funeral of a glacier.  Sadly, this is the kind of news story people would quickly dismiss.  But when meeting with her, although making jokes with her regarding wardrobe, he seriously talked with her about the state of our cllimate.  He interviewed Icelanders and the impact climate change had on their country.  During the interview, he talked, seriously, about the most improtant funeral in the World, one that has the most impact on the World: Okjokull glacier.  He sacastically showed what the glacier looked like in 1986 and in August 2019.  There is a plaque on the rock where the glacier was that says the following:

"A letter to the future

Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as a glacier.
In the next 200 years all our glaciers are expected to follow the same path.
This monument is to acknowledge that we know
what is happening and what needs to be done.
Only you know if we did it."

Other satirical shows talked about climate change as well, not making fun of it and it's impact on our life, but more on how our government has been criticized and how we are dealing with it, our ignorance, and even some of the denying of the scientific evidence  I was happy to see that, because 2-3 millions people in our little province of 7 millions whach these year end shows.  But I was very very proud to see this journalist/comedian from my home town spending close to 70% of his show on climate change during a year full of scandals in Canada, an election year.

Lilinoe, Unk p, Aheartbegins and 3 people reacted
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor
Topic starter  

Sensitizing the human population to Climate Change is crucial.  But I think we are missing the boat.  Many of us are reading scientific publications.  Often this will be in the Science section of a newpaper, very rarely will it make front page.  

Let's face it, the majority of the population watch main stream media, big corporation news channels.  A good chunk of the population will watch late night comedy shows.  They barely talk about Climate Change, they will spend more time talking about the T's latest tweets!

Maybe it's time for us to put pressure on them to talk more about it.  They make jokes about flat earth theories but not about Climate Change denying theories.  Could we put pressure on them to talk more about it?  We are increassingly worried about Trump's escalating crazyness.  Not that it's not important, but isn't our extinction more important?  Just a thought...

Lilinoe, BlueBelle, Lilinoe and 1 people reacted
Share: