Notifications
Clear all

Forum Glitches 2

(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

@daveh Thanks for reverting to the previous iteration. It is a lot easier to use this way. However, now when I click on a topic with new posts, it takes me to the top of the thread, not the most recent post(s). That wouldn't normally be too much of an issue because there used to be a link on each topic/thread that you could click to take you to the last post in the thread/topic, but unfortunately, that link is gone now.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@tgraf66 When you say "previous iteration" are you referring to how it was a few days ago or earlier? If so, I am not aware of any link or button that would take you to the most recent post, except for the  <RECENT POSTS> section. But we likely have different operating systems and devices.  

ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@jeanne-mayell I meant going back to the way it was before he started the recent changes. When you clicked on a link from the "unread posts" page, the site would take you to the most recent post in a thread instead of the first one, and if it didn't work (sometimes it didn't), there was always a link at the top of every topic that would take you to the last post in the thread, but both of those features are gone now.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@tgraf66 Recent Posts and Unread Posts are still working for me, even when I log in as a regular subscriber. What kind of device and system are you using?  I'm on an iMac desktop/OS 13.6.6.

ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@jeanne-mayell They work, in that they take me to the topic that the new post is in, but they take me to the first post in the thread instead of the newest post.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@tgraf66 Email with details about the kind of device you are using.

ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tgraf66 I've been wanting to ask this non-substantive easy question forever, but haven't found the right place to do so, and this one is about as close as I can find :) How do you and other members cut and paste sections of statements from earlier conversations into a new response? I mean the big shaded blocks.

ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

posted by KMac:

How do you and other members cut and paste sections of statements from earlier conversations into a new response? I mean the big shaded blocks.

@kathleen, you'll want to highlight and copy the section from the earlier post that you want block quoted, then paste it under your Reply.  Then highlight that quote and choose the Blockquote (") under the Reply toolbar.  That should give you the shaded block.

ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@deetoo 

you'll want to highlight and copy the section from the earlier post that you want block quoted, then paste it under your Reply.  Then highlight that quote and choose the Blockquote (") under the Reply toolbar.  That should give you the shaded block.

Thanks! Let's see how this works after I hit "add reply". If it doesn't work, I'll continue to play with it.

deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@deetoo Yes, it worked! Thanks for helping me!

FEBbby23 and deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Oh @deetoo, that's a new way I hadn't ever tried!  @KMac, you can also just click <Quote> next to <reply> before you hit <reply> and it will open up a "Leave a reply" box for you with a quote from the entire post you are quoting from. Then just delete the part of the quote you didn't want to quote. 

ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Step 1: 

Tara Prete and Maggieci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Step 2: 

Maggieci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Posted by: @kathleen

How do you and other members cut and paste sections of statements from earlier conversations into a new response?

So it ends up looking like this. If you want to quote/reply to more than one thing in a post separately or to parts of more than one post, do the first one and add your reply below it, then repeat the steps above for the second and add your reply to that, then repeat for the next one, etc.

If you notice, there's a tiny upward-pointing arrow in the top right corner of the gray quote box. If you click that, it will take you back to the original post that you quoted from. That will be true for every quote you add to your post, so if you quote from different posts in the same reply, each box's arrow will take you back to the post the quote came from.

FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tgraf66

If you notice, there's a tiny upward-pointing arrow in the top right corner of the gray quote box. If you click that, it will take you back to the original post that you quoted from.

tgraf66 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Oh, the little arrow thing in the top right corner only appears if you do it as I described above. If you do it in the ways that others showed (all of which are perfectly valid!), you won't see that. I think you also won't see it if it's not your post. This method is the simplest to do and requires the least effort and number of clicks, and since I'm lazy as hell, that's how I do it. ;-)

Maggieci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@kathleen If you do it the way I've indicated, you also don't have to type in the person's name/handle because it's automatically included in the quote.

Maggieci reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tgraf66 You are the best! Thank you! I've not yet had time to try, but when I do, I'll send a few practice replies to you so that you can see them, is that ok?

ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@kathleen Of course. :-)

ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tgraf66 Actually, I believe I've got it! No need for you to review 😀

tgraf66 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 9