How to make sure yo...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] How to make sure your shopping dollars go for a better world

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Here is where we can help each other spend our hard-earned money on corporations that are making a better world, and boycott corporations who are climate deniers, Trump supporters, extreme Right wing supporters, racist, etc. 

I am hoping to get help from you on who to buy from and who to avoid buying from. 

I buy Kirkland cosmetics and soaps (Costco's brand) and Trader Joes because they are cruelty free. Although I've yet to find a good source of farm products (eggs, dairy, etc.) that humanely raise their livestock. That may have to be more local. 

I do not buy from Home Depot because their founder is a big Trump supporter although he's retired.  Still won't support Home Depot.

If you have money in the markets, there are socially responsible mutual funds.  They are doing better than the others too. (Parnassus is one). But not sure this is a good time to buy. 

BlueBelle and BlueBelle reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

These people make their money from all of us.  We don't have to support them. 

The dark money Koch Industries owns (from Lovendures' post):

• Dixie products
  • Quilted Northern
  • Angel Soft
  • Angel Soft Ultra
  • Brawny paper towels
  • Insulair cups
  • Mardis Gras napkins
  • Perfect Touch cups, paper products
  • Sparkle paper towels
  • Vanity Fair napkins & paper towels
  • Zee Napkins
  • Georgia-Pacific Office products
  • Spectrum paper
  • Georgia-Pacific’s enMotion paper towel dispenser
  • Georgia-Pacific’s engineered lumber INVISTA Brands
  • Oil pipelin
  • DACRON
  • LYCRA
  • OXYCLEAR® Barrier Resin
  • POLYCLEAR® PET
  • POLYSHIELD® Resin
  • STAINMASTER® Carpet
  • THERMOLITE® Fabric

Lilinoe, Celticwitch, Lilinoe and 1 people reacted
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Other companies who support TRE45ON, the evangelicals, or both:

• Chick-Fil-A
  • Wendy's
  • Taco Bell
  • KFC
  • Olive Garden
  • IHOP
  • Carl's Jr
  • McDonald's
  • Miller/Coors
  • Soul Cycle
  • Equinox Gyms
  • Revlon
  • Estee Lauder/Aveda/Origins
  • Hobby Lobby
  • Bank of America
  • HSN
  • Marvel Studios
  • Facebook
  • Wegmans Supermarkets (that one makes me so sad)

Now a couple to debunk:

1. Home Depot - it's the old CEO who mouths off in support, he retired years ago and is not even on the board. The company itself is not donating to the 2020 reelection campaign. Bernie Marcus endorsed Donald Trump and routinely makes offensive/inflammatory remarks in public but he hasn't been an executive at the company for a long time (he doesn't even sit on the board). The current leadership of Home Depot hates it when Marcus is given the spotlight by the press, because it constantly makes people think he's still involved with the company. He's not. All Trump Home products on the Home Depot site were marked "discontinued."
  2. CVS - In mid-Aug 2019, Out Magazine published a claim CVS is a "major Trump donor" b/c the corporate PAC of CVS gave $35k to the Trump Victory PAC for the 2020 election. Corporate PACs are controlled by the employees of the company, not the company itself or its leadership. At some companies, corporate PACs function as a way for employees to donate in alignment with the values of company leaders. The CEO of CVS, though, has given to both Republican and Democrat candidates and causes in the past including an Obama victory fund in 2011. He's never donated to Trump and the CVS corporate PAC donates fairly evenly across the aisle in general. In the 2018 midterms they gave slightly more to Democratic candidates, in fact.

Marley, TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
(@natalie)
Noble Member Registered

I love this thread. I feel very ignorant for not knowing the origins of all of these products. That said I am a little obsessive about the stuff that I use in my own life. I have stuck to my promise of only using cruelty free cosmetics and skin care products for about two years now. This can be tricky because I love makeup and a lot of my favorite stuff is tested on animals - so I've ended up spending more on alternatives. But even so I've stuck to it - I'll list my favorite brands below if anyone wants to check them out. 

I use Paula's Choice skincare - I love it. It's not the cheapest stuff but I love it.

Cruelty free Drugstore cosmetics can be tricky to find - I use Milani, Wet n Wild, Physicians Formula and NYX. Some of these companies are owned by larger corporations like L'Oreal that do test on animals - but the sub brands themselves do not. It's really really hard to completely cut out the large corporations from my list so I focus on specific products I know are cruelty free. 

A lot of higher end cosmetics are cruelty free - some of my favorites are Urban Decay, Too Faced, Tarte, Colourpop and Makeup Geek. 

I tend to make my own cleaning products at home using variations of vinegar, essential oils, etc....

I make my own laundry detergent using borax, washing soda and fels naptha - it saves tons of money and I know what's in it. 

Eggs are tricky for me too - I usually get Vital Farms pasture raised eggs - they are expensive but I feel too guilty if I buy eggs from abused hens. I also like that each carton has a little pamphlet in it with the hen of the month on it - I usually hang those on my fridge. They have names like Happy Hannah and Beautiful Becky. 

I like Trader Joe's hand cream and soap - which is cheap and really good. 

Oh and I am considering opening an account with Aspiration banking - which is supposed to be an environmentally conscious banking institution. 

I recently also bought a pair of Rothy's flats which are made from recycled water bottles. They are pricey but I've been eyeing them for years. 

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

Wow thanks for starting this site.  I quit P&G years ago due to their animal testing.  Even though they claim they have stopped I still persist.  I quit eating fast food about a year ago for weight control issues.  The Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s where I live carry local eggs.  We even have people in our neighbor hood that raise chickens and are glad to sell the eggs, usually about 2.00 a dozen.  We also have farmers markets most of the year where local farmers, mostly organic, come and sell products.

funny story about the neighborhood chicks.  There is one adventurous little guy who “flys the coop” occasionally and trots on down the street.  I live in the city about a mile from downtown.  Everyone in the neighborhood knows who to call and she comes and gets her chick.  Still it cracks me up every time I see it strutting down the sidewalks as proud as you please!

TriciaCT, BlueBelle, LalaBella and 5 people reacted
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

Well, We only have one store except for Dollar General, and that is Walmart, so there isn't much shopping around. My favorite toilet paper was White Cloud, but I can't get it anymore. I don't even know if they sell it anywhere.  As far as a garden, not going to happen. I planted one last year. Spent $42 for everything and got four tomatoes. I've been to Farmer's Market twice this year and their goods are pretty bad. Everything is so small. The potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, everything except okra and they left them on the vine too long so they are more like wood. They are too tough to cut. You might put them in soup, I guess.

Share: