Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic (When posting new information, please cite sources)

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures  I'm glad that carriers are tested and stopped from spreading, but thinking about the fact that Donald Trump has people tested before meeting with him infuriates me. As if protecting his health is for the good of the country.

lenor, Isabelle, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p  Here in Houston, Randalls is the most expensive non organic, then Kroger, then HEB, then Walmart. Some people still don't wear masks at HEB, went to Walmart and people actually wore masks. There is a Wholefoods and Target near me on Westheimer and it has always had people with masks which makes me happy. Now the suburbs, Katy, Sugarland are pretty much awful when it comes to masks in my experience. 

lenor, FEBbby23, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
Illustrious Member Registered

hey @jsr78 !  the store in the article is the one on S. Rice @ Bissonet.  Strange that the Baltimore Sun and NYT reported on it, but i didn't see any local reporting about it, did you?

FEBbby23, jsr78, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tybin)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p. That story angers me because I work for adults with developmental disabilities. A tragedy that didn’t have to happen 

lenor, FEBbby23, jsr78 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Just a reminder that this is exactly why the R's in the Senate want to include liability protection for employers and companies in the new stimulus package.  Fortunately, they haven't passed it yet, so if anything happens to that girl's parents, the company might still be on the hook for the liability of not enforcing a mask rule for customers

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Isabelle and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

A local school district in Arizona asked parents to sign a release form.

That didn't go over to well.  

DannyBoy, Isabelle, LalaBella and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p New York Times, I shared it on Facebook from there, didn't see it anywhere else. 

Unk p, FEBbby23, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

"Lab-made virus mimics COVID-19 virus: Is safer to work with, can aid efforts to find drugs, vaccines:

Scientists handling COVID-19 must wear full-body biohazard suits with pressurized respirators, and work inside laboratories with multiple containment levels and specialized ventilation systems.

These safety precautions slow down efforts to find drugs and vaccines for COVID-19 since many scientists lack access to the required biosafety facilities.

To help remedy that, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have developed a hybrid virus that will enable more scientists to enter the fight against the pandemic.

The researchers genetically modified a mild virus by swapping one of its genes with a SARS-CoV-2 . The resulting hybrid infects cells and is recognized by antibodies just like SARS-CoV-2, but can be handled under ordinary laboratory safety conditions.

The study is available online in Cell Host & Microbe.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200721162446.htm

jsr78, Lovendures, 2ndfdl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

Herman Cain has passed. He caught Covid-19 when he attended the Tulsa rally...where no masks were worn.

As reported in the Guardian:

Cain, the co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, had attended Donald Trump’s rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma in June, where he did not wear a mask.

“We’re heartbroken, and the world is poorer,” said a post on Cain’s website, which provided insight into his Covid-19 infection."

lenor, Enkasongwriter, Stargazer and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@journeywithme2 and they still scoff at the seriousness of this virus.  God have pity On them.   Someone should be held accountable.   I wonder if faced with their own mortality would they have as much bravado as they do now.   It disgusts me.  

lenor, Isabelle, 2ndfdl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@michele-b

Thank you my friend for digging this one up! ?

Who knew? And does it make you wonder .... ?

Michele and Michele reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@lovendures

Ha! This was great. It so totally captures this whole decision-making process!

kksali, Lovendures, kksali and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

@febbby23 More will perish before things get better.

FEBbby23, Ms. C., FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell

Yes, what's evidently good enough for Rump is not good enough for the rest of the country (that is, regular, widespread Covid testing). The mentality of an utterly entitled, depraved narcissist...but what else could we possibly expect from him?

Unk p, lenor, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@enkasongwriter I know. It’s just so sad and unnecessary.   Doesn’t life have any value to those morons?   It’s disgusting.  

Enkasongwriter, Unk p, Enkasongwriter and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @tybin

@unk-p. That story angers me because I work for adults with developmental disabilities. A tragedy that didn’t have to happen 

What is especially tragic about that story is that she needs her parents in order to live independently. 

jsr78, Unk p, SisterMoon and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@lovendures I've seen some of the boilerplate release forms some of the larger firms that supply boilerplate language for schools have put out.  Athletics in particular have asked for release from liability if a player tests positive even if the school was at fault.  My wife and I are still arguing over what's going to happen with our twins this fall -- but if a form like that comes home it'll seal the deal.  I unfortunately, as someone who works for the larger entity that supports our local school districts know their Sup has done very little and seems to think we won't be going remote at all this year.  She's purchased no supplies, and the only lip service she's paid is to pay teachers $1000 this summer to write their lesson plans and put them in a learning management system.  My email has been exploding with spitballed ideas from those teachers and most of them are using that $1,000 to buy their own cleaning supplies which is just all kinds of wrong.  >.<

Unk p and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@dannyboy

What state do you live in?

It boggles the mind that a superintendent has no (even basic) game plan for opening school this fall. How can one not purchase supplies?  Are parents asking questions?  

How old are your twins? I am sorry you have these difficult choices to make.

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, DannyBoy and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@lovendures apologies, I didn't see this until this morning!  I live in Michigan.  I'm in a very red corner of the state which has for now, seen small numbers but includes a lot of Trump flags.

I should clarify - the superintendent HAS a game plan for opening this fall.  The problem is, the game plan is to open as if there isn't a pandemic.  They, like every other school up here have created a "virtual academy" to keep the kids who aren't returning in person from leaving to go to another district.  The problem is they've bought prepackaged content that I've seen in action before this and it's just terrible.

With my work, there's a virtual cyberschool I've worked with the last 3 years.  And while I, the product of two teachers, former union president, am a person who has championed the work of public schools his entire 41 years on this earth -- I'm hoping my wife will see the light soon and let me school of choice our 9 year olds to this cyber school.  Because I tried to find holes in their systems and there weren't many.

I'm also really vent-y anytime someone posts something about schools so apologies to all for being a continual broken record.  I just don't get how we can look at all the summer camps and schools that have reopened and think anything other than "Yeah, that didn't go well, lets rethink this."  Instead the foot is locked in place on the gas pedal.

Michele, Jeanne Mayell, villager and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

Posted by: @tgraf66
Posted by: @tgraf66
Posted by: @laura-f

Wouldn't have even gone to urgent care if I didn't threaten to withhold dinner.

See, this is why women really run the world already....they just let the men think they do. ?

@laura-f, @tgraf66

Laura, so sorry you even went through this whole dog bite issue with your hubby (gheesh I can feel the frustration myself)

This is a prime example of WHY WOMEN SHOULD RULE the world. Even my brother, who is an Asst. Attny General for the SofNY told me once "you may not have had my education and book smarts sis, but you've always had more common sense".

Amen again.

Snowbird, villager, lenor and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 108 / 173
Share: