Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic (When posting new information, please cite sources)

(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

This is a actual high school principal.  How lucky are these kids to have him!

As someone in the video comments section remarked, this is "a testament to human resilience through humor."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeAN8Xxz0q4&feature=emb_logo&utm_campaign=wp_the_daily_202&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_daily202

Jeanne Mayell, villager, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@dannyboy

I hope you are able to send your kids to that virtual school.

I totally agree with your thoughts on re-opening schools.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, villager and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

In its second day of the new school year, the Cherokee County School District shut down a second-grade classroom at Sixes Elementary School in Canton after a student tested postive for COVID-19.

Um,  so you are telling us that the day you opened, a Covid- 19 positive student exposed their second grade class to Covid-19 and it is your FIRST case since opening back up?
You could not have an earlier case people!  It happened the FIRST day you opened. 

Students in that district are not required to wear masks.

TriciaCT, FEBbby23, deetoo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures My favorite part is the photograph of a group of 13 parents and children, not likely from one family, at what appears to be a school bus stop.  Only one person, a child, is wearing a mask and no one is social distancing. This is The Three Stooges of school reopenings.

1596597670-Ga-bus-stop.jpg

TriciaCT, Enkasongwriter, FEBbby23 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@jeanne-mayell

The photo!

OMG!

TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

This post could be placed a few different places but I decided to put it here.

I heard from my eldest  daughter today after her 6 hour school zoom meeting and social/emotional pandemic training workshop.

As I have mentioned previously, she is going to (eventually) be in a brand new school building.  Their principal told them last week he had to quarantine because his mom had Covid and he had been in contact with her. So for 2 weeks he has not been very available.  That is a bunch to manage and process  with a new school opening in just weeks.

Here is the rest of the story she learned today. 

His father had gone into either a hospital or a treatment center for a cancer treatment and picked up Covid from there.  His father passed away a short time later in mid July from Covid.  His mom and his sister were  also infected from his father.  His sister passed away from Covid a week after her father.  His mom is recovering.  He stayed with his mom who lives in a different part of the state to help her and to not infect his wife and children back at his own home. He is not infected thankfully.

What an incredible burden to bear.  He will be opening up this new school in about a month with the full knowledge of how devastating and dangerous this disease is and he will be at the mercy of the Governor and then the school district on whether or not an extension of their 3 week online education learning will be granted or if the school will be opening up to the community for in-person education.

When schools finally do open their doors, everyone will need a whole bunch of pandemic social/emotional therapy. Everyone will have their own form of PTSD.

Wait!  Make that OPTSD.  Ongoing Pandemic Traumatic Stress Disorder.

TriciaCT, DannyBoy, Jeanne Mayell and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

Oklahoma here. First my Son-in-Law in Tucson has recovered from Coovid 19. He was off work for a month. I went to the doctor yesterday to get a refill of BP pills, There were three in the waiting room wearing masks, A lady came in without one. I asked her if she wanted one as I had one in the car. No. When I finally went in, the assistant and another were not wearing masks. I mentioned the lady without the mask. She said oh, none of the people were really sick. If one cames in, the take precautions.  Doctor comes in, and shakes my hand. He  shakes it going out too. He wants to do lab work. I told him I had that six months earlier, and I didn't want to go to the hospital until after Covid 19, and this is what got me. He said "AFTER THE ELECTION" To me, he thinks the pandemic isn't real.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures  it's all of Georgia!! Remember who our Governor is??? brown nosing Trumper man? I expect BIG rise in Covid-19 cases and a bad outcome for our people here.Viral Photo Shows Lack of Social Distancing at Georgia High School

Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures, Enkasongwriter and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

@journeywithme2

Looks just like the halls in the middle school where I worked. We were all required to stand in the hallway during passing time to monitor the halls. So glad I am retired. Here in Virginia, most of the districts are having online classes for the first semester which ends the middle of November. Then they will re-evaluate.

Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures, Enkasongwriter and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@lenor, you live in VA?  Me too.  I haven't been tracking all of the districts, but in Northern Virginia they've had a measured and sane response. 

Let's continue holding all of our educators, students and their families in the light.  They need our prayers right now.

TriciaCT, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

@deetoo

I live just outside Richmond in Chesterfield. The tricounty area of Richmond, Chesterfield, and Henrico are doing the online. I have a teacher friend who lives in Waynesboro (just past Charlottesville) and she went back to school today. They have 160 cases and 3 deaths. She still is VERY nervous.

Jeanne Mayell, 2ndfdl, villager and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@lenor, I'll have to check with my friend who lives in Strasburg.  I know that a lot of people there refuse to wear masks, so I have no idea what their school system is like.  

ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@elaineg, I'm speechless!  "After the Election"?   God help us ...

TriciaCT, ElaineG, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@villager)
Noble Member Registered

More news and research regarding kids and Covid-19 transmission. This article from the Guardian is worth a read for anyone thinking about teaching or sending kids to school:

Covid-19 may spread more easily in schools than thought, report warns

There is also the (warning: link goes to an article in German) emerging research from the Charite University Hospital in Berlin, Germany that comes to the conclusion that there is no discernible difference between children and adults when it comes to viral load (and therefore spreading the virus). This research is preliminary only and has not yet been peer reviewed. I can post more when it is published. 

CC21, deetoo, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

I worked with kids for years, as both a teacher and speech therapist.

I was sick the whole time, and there were no pandemics to worry about.

Kids are just walking petri dishes.

Ms. C., Isabelle, Vesta and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@elaineg

Insanity!

deetoo, lenor, ElaineG and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@elaineg i hope you fire that doctor, and tell him why.

Coyote, deetoo, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p I almost did last year when he failed to link all of my issues to taking the statin drug, but since we seem to have, don't do anything extra, doctors,  I didn't think it would do any good, I wish I didn't have to take blood pressure pills. I think I felt better before I started to go to the doctor.

deetoo, lenor, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Hannah Watters called it "Good and Necessary Trouble".

The High School Student in Georgia who took the viral photo of a crowded hallway filled with students wearing no masks and no social distancing is no longer suspended nor will a suspension appear on her school record.  Looks like she didn't really break school rules as the photo was uploaded after school and students are allowed to use phones in class.

Hannah told CNN's Laura Coates on Thursday that she had felt compelled to share what it looked like inside the school, so she took a photo of the scene and posted it to social media.
"I was concerned for the safety of everyone in that building and everyone in the county because precautions that the CDC and guidelines that the CDC has been telling us for months now, weren't being followed."

You know John Lewis is cheering her on.

deetoo, Shawn, lowtide and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I went to my local hardware store yesterday which is fully open for business, but I would not go inside.  I waited until I could grab an employee's attention to come out and help me. The guy who helped me, Frank, is my favorite; he's been there for 25 years.

He told me that he has not gotten the virus but when I asked if he'd been tested, he said he had not. 

Well, given this latest study, Frank, like so many others,  may have contracted the virus and been unwittingly spreading it and never had symptoms.

The latest study out of South Korea shows what others have shown that the virus is carried equally in terms of potency by asymptomatic people.  Only this study goes one step further:  

That 30 percent of all of those who are infected never ever show any symptoms but still spread the virus as readily as those who are sick. 

If you add to that that even with masks, especially the kind Frank was wearing - a cloth (not N95) mask, you can breathe out small droplets that can then float around and descend elsewhere in the store.  So best to stay outside. 

I've felt from the beginning that I should assume that everyone out there has it and protect myself accordingly. This makes it especially unfair and concerning for people who don't have any choice about working indoors where others come and go.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-transmission.html

deetoo, Shawn, lenor and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 109 / 173
Share: