Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Rooftop Revolving Lounge Part II

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@deetoo 

Those Bernie mitten memes were so classic and funny, hahaha.  I agree with the Larry David reference, so true.  

deetoo and deetoo reacted
(@dannyboy)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures Ours is a "mini" but when you look at his paws you can tell that's a label and not a guarantee.  Every dog we've owned has grown into it's paws and Boone is going to probably be as big as our chocolate lab.  A giant teddy bear.

We took him out today to an outdoor music festival in our downtown to raise money for a great cause.  To say this dog was perfect is an understatement.  He was so well behaved and he should sleep like the dead tonight.

If we could just get this potty training thing down!  Our Saint Bernard and our chocolate Lab both potty trained in about a week, but Boone shows no signs of getting this anytime soon and we go back to school in 3 weeks!

deetoo, Unk p, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
(@lovendures)

@dannyboy 

Great news on the festival front!  That is awesome.

Poodles potty train really well.   I wonder if the Mountain dog part of him needs more time.  Our Sheepadoodle only has accidents if he is sick but even then he tends to warn us as much as he can.  

Kids (and adults) can't resist a giant teddy bear of a dog.  It is like a stuffed animal come to life!!

Who can resist that??

FEBbby23, Lauren, Unk p and 5 people reacted
(@deetoo)

It's time for some Randy Rainbow: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07II_EJlcYg

FEBbby23, Lovendures, Maggieci and 7 people reacted
(@lovendures)

A new Randy Rainbow. 

"Thoughts and Prayers" (melody from A Chorus Line).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hk4TGuedxA

FEBbby23, Baba, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@lovendures 

Saw this the other day - another target shot by RR!

FEBbby23, Lovendures, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
(@unk-p)

dreamy music for a Sunday afternoon

horse girl- ballroom dance scene

If your lungs are scarred, come in
If your mind's too far, come in
If you prance all day, come in (William with bad hygiene hides files inside the pocket of his jeans)
If you'd rather stay, come in (Andrea's down eighty 'cause she needed years to save her night routine)
Come in, come in (If you want to stay a while, just hang your coat and turn the TV on)
Come in, come in (Give into the shingles life, play baseball in the street and hug your wife)
You say you cry all day, well, close them instead (Marianne who's older now will stuff her soul in seven plastic bins)
You say you'd rather stay, well, just lay in bed (Benjamin has seven pens to differentiate between his sins)
Fingernails fall like snow, hair falls from your crown (Susie sits in woolen socks and licks her bruise like it's a lollipop)
Do you shake as a dance as you lie on the ground? (Warren pins things to the wall 'cause his yard's far too full of human jaws)
If you want to stay a while, there's good news at the next left turn, I swear
Sitting with no makeup on with both legs crossed until your neighbor comes
If you want to stay a while, just hang your coat and turn the TV on
Give into the shingles life, play baseball in the street and hug your wife

BlueBelle, Lovendures, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

HERE ARE SOME POSTS THAT GOT DELETED RECENTLY IN REVERSE ORDER (SORRY)

Topic starter 08/26/2022 12:59 pm

Jeanne Mayell

@dannyboy I love your academy award block.

Lauren, lenor and deetoo reacted

Lovendures
(@lovendures)

08/27/2022 3:07 am

@dannyboy!
Way to go Dannyboy!
You earned that award!
deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and Lauren reacted

Unk p
(@unk-p)
08/27/2022 10:15 pm

have you guys seen this yet?

Eli Keren
@EliArieh

For a split second I thought something had gone terribly, biblically wrong with my cat
pictureMaggieci, Iridium, Freya and 2 people reacted

Lauren
(@lauren)
08/28/2022 11:56 am

@unk-p This is getting into Rene Magritte territory.

Enkasongwriter
(@enkasongwriter)
08/23/2022 10:51 pm

Speaking of pseudonyms, I use the name Shin'ichi Yanagawa on Japanese websites as it would be a name I would use in the future. The name can mean an outsider novice as Yanagawa refers to a bridge over a river.Iridium, FEBbby23, Lovendures and 3 people reacted

Jeanne Mayell
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious MemberAdmin
Topic starter 08/23/2022 11:22 pm

@unk-p I knew it would come to that, with me bringing up the Leslie thing. But I get pretty confused as it is trying to remember who someone whose name is an acronym is. It took me a few years to realize you were uncle p. I love your alias. And as I scroll back up this page and see all the posts, I love all your aliases. They have taken on the personalities of the people I have come to love. While, on the one hand, it would be like a masquerade party, which would be fun. On the other hand, unless people switched back pretty quickly, it would be like a masquerade party where people never took off their masks.

FEBbby23, Pegesus, ghandigirl and 2 people reacted

ghandigirl
(@ghandigirl)
Famed Member
08/23/2022 11:59 pm

I got my name after getting on a soap box on social media. An irritated former classmate called me a real Ghandi Girl and it stuck.
I love how something meant to belittle has become a symbol of my personality. I wear this name like a badge of honor.
Moonchild, Iridium, deetoo and 4 people reacted

Freya
(@freya)

08/24/2022 12:00 pm

@dannyboy Oh Danny Boy... love your online moniker... I love the song, too....I'm not really Freya (the Norse goddess of love, beauty, battle, death... and the only Asgard god who uses magic)... but hey my real middle name means "elf counsel" and my first name though it is an Anglized version of an Irish name, it originally derived from the name of the ancient Greek goddess of magic... LOL... which I think is fun. I wanted to use "Raven" in the Forum, but someone here already uses it... my visions often have a raven in them (as in the Norse god Odin's ravens who go out into the world every day to bring back information for Odin). When my raven shows up I know its important to pay attention.Maggieci, FEBbby23, ghandigirl and 4 people reacted

Cindy
(@cindy)

08/24/2022 1:07 pm

Hmm, some great stories about poster's names...says Cindy. Sigh. Believe it or not, I can be creative. And often friends & family simply call me Cin. I typically refuse to answer to my given name Cynthia, even tho the name is for the goddess of the moon, the hunt, protector of women. It's simply too formal. Or maybe it's because as a child I met very few others with either name, & the 2 Cynthia's I did meet were real snobs.
I did start posting here before there was a forum, and only a few posters. And oddly enough, I've always had an internet alias I use everwhere else. I'm not sure what told me not to use it here, especially given the things I've gone through over the years to protect my privacy for reasons you are all familiar with. ::shrugs::FEBbby23, ghandigirl, Freya and 2 people reacted

Saibh
(@saibh)

08/24/2022 2:42 pm

The conversation about usernames tickles me! Saibh is Gaelic ... I've used it since my first online forum in the late 1900s ;) My own name is ubiquitously 1970s, I've never had a nickname, and trying to come up with something clever is exhausting, so Saibh it is.Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, FEBbby23 and 5 people reacted

Iridium
(@ana)

08/24/2022 7:51 pm

I am a mere extraterrestrial (mostly) trace element.Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, FEBbby23 and 2 people reacted

DannyBoy
(@dannyboy)
08/25/2022 11:52 am

I have been blocked on Twitter for a while by Kirstie Alley. She was ranting one day a bunch of Pro-Trump nonsense and I mentioned that I liked Diane better on Cheers and came back an hour later to find myself blocked.
I was also blocked by Scott Baio, who was ranting one day on Twitter a bunch of pro-Trump, anti-Biden, fascist nonsense. I told him Charles may have been in charge in the 80s, but the adults were in charge now. Came back an hour later and found myself blocked.
I don't remember why James Woods blocked me.
All three of these were badges of honor I proudly wear. But last night Betsy DeVos was on a bender on Twitter about student loan forgiveness. I started responding to her posts by pointing out how much PPP money her family and friends got that they don't have to pay back (PPP was 3 times what this round of forgiveness is going to cost) and how the Trump tax cuts have actually raised my taxes while lowering hers permanently. Among a bunch of other things. She finally posted a Washington Post editorial about the illegality of student loan forgiveness via EO.
I posted "Opinions are like assholes Betsy. Everyone has one."
Guess what happened next? This is my Academy Award.

Maggieci, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 6 people reacted

CC21
(@cc21)

08/25/2022 12:19 pm

@dannyboy Your academy award 🤣 I love it!

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, lenor and 1 people reacted

deetoo
(@deetoo)

08/25/2022 12:53 pm

@dannyboy, This is great. I really needed the laughter today. Thank you!

🎵 🎵 oh Dannyboy, the blocks, the blocks, are calling ...
Lauren, lenor, LalaBella and 2 people reacted

LalaBella
(@laura-f)

08/25/2022 4:36 pm

@dannyboy MAZEL TOV!

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Lauren and 1 people reacted

LalaBella
(@laura-f)

08/25/2022 5:32 pm

"Posted by: @jeanne-mayell"

I might want to change my name.
When I was a t’ween, my sister and I called each other names we liked. I was Leslie. She chose Christine. I think it was because of Leslie Gore, a singer in the early sixties, just when pop culture was transitioning away from the horrible embarrassing fifties (embarrassing for women and others). Leslie Gore sang, You Don’t Own Me and It’s my Party (and I’ll cry if I want to) (And anyway: you would cry too if it happened to you). We would dance around the house singing these songs at the top of our lungs.
P.S. I love @Lalabella for you, Laura.
Before moving across the country, I actually changed my legal name for various reasons, including: reclaiming part of my heritage, renouncing the name my narcissist mother gave me, becoming more difficult to locate by exes (especially an abusive ex-husband, not that he would harm me now but I just don't want him to even know where I am on the planet) and also my mother.

Lalabella: Something to consider @jeanne-mayell. Back in my old state it was $35 and 2 weeks for a judge to sign off. Not sure in MA. I knew that here in CA it would have been expensive and over-complicated, so I changed it before the move and then when I got here I changed my passport, drivers license, etc. It took about 6 months to notify everyone official (there are entities who have our legal names you forget about - like airline mileage programs, shopping discounts, etc.), but I have no regrets and even though I was 50 at the time it was worth it. I will add that my father always used a nickname for me that was related to my mother, but to his credit, after explaining my rationale and a couple of corrections he stopped using it altogether (bless him).
You could change your legal name on documentation but remain Jeanne Mayell on here and for all public purposes, like Cher or Lady Gaga or Elton John. 😉

Lauren reacted

Saibh
(@saibh)

08/25/2022 6:55 pm

@laura-f My daughter chose to change her name this year. She has never liked her name (which was given intentionally and because it was loved, but alas ... it's her lifetime of answering to what she is called), and wanted to go by what she "felt like." We legally changed her middle name so she can go by that but keep the name she was given ... just in case someday she comes around to it. It wasn't hard, but the paperwork is a hassle. It really made me think about names, though - how many people in my life don't, actually, go by their given name, how as women we literally never get our own name, how our name should reflect who we see in ourselves not who our parents assumed we would be when we were born. It was much easer to decide to honor her wishes after giving her feelings the respect they deserved.deetoo, Maggieci, LalaBella and 1 people reacted

Iridium
(@ana)

08/25/2022 7:58 pm

@saibh re women's names: I changed my surname with my first marriage. It felt strange, like I had disowned myself and was subjugating myself to my husband. (And I guess I was. ) When that ill-fated marriage ended, I changed my name back. When I married again, I told my husband-to-be that I would not be changing my surname, because I liked it and it was my identity. He accepted that, but I know it makes him uncomfortable because he often says to people, " Yeah we're married but she already had credentials and publications under her maiden name so she kept it." And I told him a few times, early on, that I wouldn't have changed it anyway, but he persists in believing this fiction. My guess is that he feels more like a man that way-- and I think that's kind of sad. I pick my battles and ignore it now when he makes those remarks.Jeanne Mayell, lenor, LalaBella and 1 people reacted

ghandigirl
(@ghandigirl)
08/26/2022 12:27 am

I have been married three times and changed my name the first two and back to my maiden name too in between each..My last marriage lasted 22 years,. The other marriages were short and it was easy to change. Now though I have spent 25 years total with my exes name. I kept it for the reason it is my child's last name and the headache of changing it after all these years was daunting. I just go by Miss first name when I teach. I am comfortable with this name.
I love my first name. I was named for my great grandmother who loved my mother very very much. I also like that it is not a very common name. Like to be different. :)
I wanted to change my Hebrew name as I was actually given a Yiddish name but it has grown on me and was chosen with love by my parents.deetoo, Lauren, Maggieci and 2 people reacted

Jeanne Mayell
(@jeanne-mayell)

Topic starter 08/26/2022 12:51 pm
@ghandigirl It's wonderful that you love your name and that you made the choice yourself. I too love my second husband's last name, Mayell. Just feels good to me. And I love him (and his family) so that is a big part of it. I did not warm up to my first husband's last name and like you, I switched back to my Maiden name in between. The down side of all that name changing is that I have authored two books in those names and an Atlantic story in my maiden name and no one knows it was me! I call this name karma. I have a lot of name karma which goes back to childhood before I had any choice at all.
Years ago, @lovendures posted why she chose that name. That she wanted a name she could strive to live up to. She certainly has done so.
Then I think of Shakespeare's famous quote, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." There is no question that in this forum that we feel the person, rather than the name they choose. But it matters to the person what name they have.

Lalabella: Nothing significant here. Just test driving a new user name. Have had some chats recently with @jeanne-mayell, @bluebelle, and others about online privacy. This forum has grown so much, and with so many "strangers" clicking through every day, and with civil unrest brewing and upcoming elections, thought it might be time for a switcheroo.
It's still me though! What do we think of this new name?
@deetoo @lovendures @triciact @ghandigirl @unk-p - ?Lauren, TriciaCT, ghandigirl and 7 people reacted

deetoo
(@deetoo)

08/22/2022 12:03 pm

Lalabella, I love it. It totally fits!
@laura-fLauren, BlueBelle, ghandigirl and 2 people reacted

Lovendures
(@lovendures)
08/22/2022 6:14 pm

@laura-f
I think it works well!
😀Lauren, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 1 people reacted

Unk p
(@unk-p)
Famed Member
08/22/2022 9:32 pm

@laura-f i like the new nym, but it got me curious as to what it means- this is what i found:
la-la (plural la-las) (slang, US) Something unusually good; (occasionally) something unusually bad. [LoL]
Bella is the feminine singular for “beautiful” in Italian.
So, yeah, it's perfect.
Alternately, there was an emperor of Ethiopia named Lalibella, which translates to something like "whom the bees will obey".
Also perfect 🌺

ps- do you think we should all change our names?

Lauren, Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell and 2 people reacted

ghandigirl
(@ghandigirl)

08/23/2022 1:24 am
@unk-p
Spoiler alert.
My name isn't really Ghandigirl ;)Lauren, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 2 people reacted

Unk p
(@unk-p)

08/23/2022 3:37 am

Posted by: @ghandigirl
My name isn't really Ghandig

neither is mine
but
that's oh k
i still love you, anyoldway

--an Unknown person
Lauren, ghandigirl, deetoo and 2 people reacted

TriciaCT
(@triciact)
08/23/2022 10:18 am

@laura-f
I like the new name! (bella is familiar to my Italian half as beautiful!)Lauren, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted

LalaBella
(@laura-f)

08/23/2022 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone!
I am Sicilian heritage. As for bella - well, that's gonna be a little inside joke between me and @bluebelle (and it's not because she has "belle").
@unk-p - no, I think everyone's names are fine, but I'm one of the few still using a real name because when I first came on here it was small and I didn't feel the need for a pseudonym. On other platforms I have been using pseudonyms from go because I know how public they are. My understanding is that this forum/site gets up to 20,000 clicks per day. That's a lot of strangers passing by.

Lauren, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 2 people reacted

tgraf66
(@tgraf66)
08/23/2022 12:39 pm

There are some instances and places on the net where I do use pseudonyms, but I mostly just lurk on those places for one reason or another, rarely if ever contributing or speaking up about anything.
This forum is a different story for me. While I respect those who desire some measure of anonymity, I've never felt the need for a pseudonym here. I am who I am, I think what I think, and I won't pretend otherwise. My opinions are what they are, and I do my best to be honest and respectful when expressing them. I've never said anything I don't mean (apart from some obvious sarcasm and/or joking around), and I have always stood up and owned everything I say, including and especially when I am wrong and have to admit it.LalaBella, Lauren, ghandigirl and 3 people reacted

Jeanne Mayell
(@jeanne-mayell)
Topic starter 08/23/2022 6:56 pm

I might want to change my name.
When I was a t’ween, my sister and I called each other names we liked. I was Leslie. She chose Christine. I think it was because of Leslie Gore, a singer in the early sixties, just when pop culture was transitioning away from the horrible embarrassing fifties (embarrassing for women and others). Leslie Gore sang, You Don’t Own Me and It’s my Party (and I’ll cry if I want to) (And anyway: you would cry too if it happened to you). We would dance around the house singing these songs at the top of our lungs.
P.S. I love @Lalabella for you, Laura.Maggieci, Lauren, ghandigirl and 4 people reacted

deetoo
(@deetoo)
08/23/2022 7:33 pm

I love that story, @jeanne-mayell. Or should I call you Leslie?
I don't recall that I ever called myself by another name growing up. Other people did, though. My older sister, who is 74, still calls me Kid -- and sometimes Blossom, both from our childhoods.
I'd thought about using Blossom for this Forum. Think I chose deetoo because when I was in my 20's and worked for a university publisher, one of the graphic designers would send me work memos addressed to Disco Deedee, Get Down Disco (Patrick was a big part of the disco scene, but I wasn't, although I loved to dance), or Deetoo. He would just make up names for people, which I loved. Also, the job was lighthearted and fun, so I have fond memories of that time and the Deetoo.Maggieci, Lauren, ghandigirl and 2 people reacted

DannyBoy
(@dannyboy)
08/23/2022 7:43 pm

My name isn’t really Danny boy - though I am a boy and the D is my initial.
some think it’s because of the song - and it’s a great song and I love it but when I grow up I want to be Daniel Jackson from Stargate and that, kids, is how I met your mother. Or rather chose my fake internet name.

ghandigirl, Freya, Lauren and 5 people reacted

Unk p
(@unk-p)
08/23/2022 9:43 pm

Wouldn't it be a gas if we all changed our pseudonyms at the same time? How fun, and confusing- with nothing to guide us but the trail of "energetic breadcrumbs" that we each leave behind. What do you think @jeanne-mayell
...um, i mean @leslie?

(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

I've moved home to Michigan, I feel totally discombobulated but hopeful. It feels weird not worrying about hurricanes anymore. Now I have Michigan Football, the Lions, Tigers, and Pistons to look forward too. I'm home to finish my MBA, get my CPA and possibly try to get a job at the IRS that's my plan. Plus my parents are getting older and they wanted me to come home. One reason why my brother doesn't leave Michigan is because it has massive amounts of water most of the time it's cool in the summer and there are plenty of jobs. I guess it took me awhile to agree with him. 

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, CC21 and 4 people reacted
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

(@unk-p)

Anybody watch the unveiling of the Whitehouse portraits of the Obama's today? I didn't expect to get as choked up as i did.

Barrack: "I want to thank the artist Sharon Sprung, for capturing everything that I love about Michelle- her grace, intelligence.. and the fact that she's FINE!"           

Ha! truth!   And first time i've seen her in braids (Yes!)-  i always thought she was beautiful, but used to wonder why she always wore "white lady hair"?  Guess it was so she wouldn't startle the, you know, white ladies, lol.  I always hoped she would pop out in a big Angela Davis style Afro, or maybe some Bantu Knots, or something.

People always talk about "Which President would you rather drink a beer with?",  but they never ask "Which 1st Lady would you rather share a pitcher of Margaritas with?"  Easy. It's Michelle.

(Melania, on the other hand, would probably just snatch the bottle of Grapefruit Bitters from behind the bar, and chug it- before storming out, without even leaving a tip.)

deetoo, DannyBoy, FEBbby23 and 6 people reacted
(@pegesus)
Noble Member Registered

I love and respect many things about the Obamas....last but not least....her fantastic arms.  Glad she showed them off!  They are an elegant and grace-filled couple.

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 4 people reacted
(@unk-p)

they have already started on TFG's official portrait, but you might want to brace yourself before you click it

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 1 people reacted
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@unk-p 

I think it should just be a can of hairspray with a roll of toilet paper stuck on top. Very Warhol...

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 1 people reacted
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p Then there is this one.

As someone else said though, she is no Carrie Fisher. 

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 2 people reacted
(@unk-p)

@jsr78 she probably would have left him already, but she doesn't want to end up on his golf course, buried under the 3rd hole. Or would it be the 4th hole? I'm so bad at math.

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 2 people reacted
(@lovendures)

I hope you enjoy this video which shows the Queen had a great sense of humor.

https://youtu.be/A-mO7rbYtgk

Jeanne Mayell, matildagirl, Lauren and 3 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @unk-p

they have already started on TFG's official portrait, but you might want to brace yourself before you click it

I needed a big laugh tonight. Thank you, unk-p.

deetoo and Lauren reacted
(@unk-p)

@jeanne-mayell 

Good morning  everyone!

Welcome to psychedic psundays

this is   hot chip   

hurache lights

check out Jeanne(?)       on the drums

Lauren and Jeanne Mayell reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@unk-p Yeah, that's me (in my mind). Love that segment.

Lauren and Unk p reacted
Page 26 / 27
Share: