Voting in 2020: Vot...

Notifications
Clear all

Voting in 2020: Voting by Mail or in Person: Corona Complications or Sabotage?

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

We mailed 4 boxes to Texas in mid July.

3 made it within 5 days, the other is still "in transit".  5 weeks now.  We filled out paperwork on it weeks ago. 

Last destination was leaving Los Angeles.  Los Angeles is the opposite direction from where I live to Texas.  

Does this happen during normal times.  Yep!  But seriously,  they were mailed when all this went down and I rather doubt that box will arrive, ever. 

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anita)
Noble Member Registered

@writerjenny

i think the problem with many that vote in person, is that the poorer, the more racially diverse, and the the more liberal areas in certain states make people wait for hours. They are often told they are at the wrong precinct or that their name isn’t on the list. There is also the Covid 19 pandemic. Oh, and sometimes there is/are one or two working Ballot boxes for hundreds of people. I’m glad to be in Oregon where I get my ballot mailed and have options of how to safely get them returned and counted.

Anita

Unk p, TriciaCT, Aheartbegins and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

Voters in North Carolina have receive absentee ballot request forms in the mail with Trump's face on them -CNN

"Given the crisis facing the United States Postal Service before a presidential election, the last thing John Herter expected to receive in the mail Saturday was an absentee ballot request form with President Donald Trump's face on it.

"Is this a joke?" Herter said his wife told him as she opened up the mailer to reveal a photo of Trump grinning underneath the words, "Are you going to let the Democrats silence you? Act now to stand with President Trump."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics/postal-service-trump-absentee-ballot-request-mail-usps/index.html

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, Aheartbegins and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Pelosi has recalled House to vote on Postal Service Vote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/16/us/politics/coronavirus-postal-service-stimulus-bill.html

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, lowtide and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@jessi1978

Wow! She really went ahead and did it!  Now, let's see who shows up and how it all plays out.

What amazing pinball wizard times we are living in!! 

"Pelosi has recalled House to vote on Postal Service Vote."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/16/us/politics/coronavirus-postal-service-stimulus-bill.html

TriciaCT, Isabelle, Aheartbegins and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dolphinspirit)
Noble Member Registered

I sent some intense letters over the post office. I bet I wasn’t the only one.

I know Nancy feels it will take care of itself, but citizens want leaders to voice their outrage or at least a plan.

When in the forecasting of the future, one is not always clear when it’s all set and when actions is required. Action is required. 

Michele, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

Nancy Pelosi don't play.

Imagine if someone else was Speaker of the House during these times.  I think we would be in worse trouble, if that's possible.

Isabelle, Michele, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

This is something I was wondering about. Are the states going to sue this administration for this fiasco with the post office. Several states are now looking to sue T and the Post Master General.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/16/politics/states-legal-action-usps-mail-in-voting/index.html

Well T and company can’t use that blatant lie that voting via mail will make this election the worst because of voter fraud. A Federal Judge in PA is asking them to come up with proof. You know they don’t have any.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/13/politics/trump-campaign-voter-fraud-lawsuit-pennsylvania/index.html

Isabelle, Michele, TriciaCT and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

@jessi1978  Oklahoma only has three million. We have vote by mail for any reason, and they just said ballots will be light green for easier sorting. I'm voting in person because I'm in a small town and we never have crowds. I used to look at the total of voters on the tally machine and if it read 77 voters after have hours, that would be normal.

FEBbby23 and FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

If you know anyone who lives in Virginia tell them that  we can vote from 9-5 at the voter registrar office. I just call to verify the information and she told me all we had to do is walk in with our ID (our registrar is a 10 minute drive) and vote just as we would at the polls on Nov. 3rd.  This starts on September 18th. She also said that since most of our libraries are closed the board is considering opening 2 for. early voting only.  Virginians should check the registrar’s websites to see if additional places will be open in their county for early voting. 

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@lenor

Wonderful information about your ability to vote @the registrars office plus you are right libraries may be or often open!

Everyone here should keep an eye out for uodates locally in their areas. Hopefully news media will stay on top of this as well and continue to get news and updates out as we get closer and closer. 

Thanks for your post ?

Unk p, lenor, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@lenor, thanks for that information!  My husband and I are located in Northern Virginia.  We've registered for a mail-in ballot, but if it doesn't arrive in time, maybe we'll just do that.  We had planned to drop off our ballots anyway, instead of mailing them in.

lenor, TriciaCT, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

The post master has reversed the overhauling until after the elections 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/administration/512533-postmaster-general-says-hes-pausing-changes-until-after-the-election%3famp

lenor, Isabelle, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@jessi1978

Hmm, pausing and suspending after of the drastic changes such as laying off employees all across America and removing blue postal mailboxes from at least 16 states (the city of Portland Oregon reported 4 being is removed and hauled away by onlookers watching suspiciously as it happened) is not truly reversing as this article and his statement led us to read and believe. 

He truly needs to put every thing and everyone back as they were before his multi-million dollar "cost saving" implementations went into effect. 

Feels, sounds, smells fishy to me!

lenor, Isabelle, Vesta and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jessi1978. @michele, don't trust him, he's just trying to save face in the hearings. He hurried to shut operations down and now I expect he will resume at a snail's pace.  

lenor, Isabelle, Vesta and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell

Hahaha. Thanks for saying it right out.

Assumed he was play acting for the team but finding ways to still sabotage. 

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Isabelle and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

@jeanne-mayell

20 Democratic Attorney Generals are suing to push back on the recent changes. They are saying he illegally changing mail procedures ahead of the elections. They are saying he does not have the legal authority and did not follow proper procedure under federal law.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/politics/post-office-dejoy/index.html  

kksali, lenor, Isabelle and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

New York has allowed the November elections to be done early, on election day, or with an absentee ballot.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2020/08/19/nyc-elections-2020-absentee-ballots-mail-in-voting-cuomo-to-allow-coronavirus

lenor, Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Seven USPS mail sorting machines dismantled in Portland | News Break

"PORTLAND, Ore. — Seven mail sorting machines have been dismantled at the United States Postal Service's Portland processing and distribution facility, according to multiple USPS employees.

The machines were disconnected following a meeting with management and postal service employees on Friday, Aug. 14."

Reporters asked if they would be repaired or replaced before the election and were told there were no plans to do so according to anything the employees had been told. 

https://www.newsbreak.com/oregon/portland/news/2043974244981/seven-usps-mail-sorting-machines-dismantled-in-portland

TriciaCT, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@michele-b  so much for Postmaster's promise to put off postal cutbacks until after the election. Lie, lie, and lie-- the Trump and the GOP way.

TriciaCT, lenor, Isabelle and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: