Voting in 2020: Vot...

Notifications
Clear all

Voting in 2020: Voting by Mail or in Person: Corona Complications or Sabotage?

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

The US Postal Service warns almost all of the 50 states and Washington, DC, that voters could be at risk of not getting their ballots back to election offices in time to be counted because election rules are not compatible with the time needed for delivery and return of absentee ballots through the mail.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/14/politics/usps-warn-states-mail-in-ballot-delivery/index.html

Senator Chuck Schumer said that the Postal Service under (the postmaster general, Louis DeJoy, a major donor to the Trump campaigns) had “informed some states that they may need to pay a first-class rate to deliver ballots rather than the normal rate — nearly tripling the cost.”

At issue is whether states choose to categorize their mail-in ballots as first-class mail or marketing mail, the latter of which carries about one-third of the cost but gets lower priority.

“At a time when people will have to vote by mail in record numbers because they can’t or won’t go vote in person, the postmaster general is saying we should triple the rate of cost to vote by mail?” Mr. Schumer said. “What a despicable derogation of democracy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/politics/post-office-mail-in-voting.html

DannyBoy, Unk p, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dolphinspirit)
Noble Member Registered

This crony capitalism and voter suppression is over the top. The Post Office issue really gets under my skin. So, I resorted to alternative nasal breathing. 

What compounded it was the network of Q people on fb. It’s uncomfortable to speak truth to conspiracy. Yet, in some cases I feel compelled to do so.

FEBbby23, Moonbeam, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Posted by @lowtide:

When enough Americans make enough noise, something will change.

This is in response to some posts about the USPS in "The Great Unraveling ..." thread.  

@saibh, what an awful and eye-opening experience with your ballot fiasco.  I don't know where you live, but here in Northern Virginia we had a major screw up with a non-profit, third-party voter information group who handled the ballot application mailing.  Many of the mailers had return envelopes addressed to the wrong election offices.  We were getting ready to mail our applications and fortunately received an email from our congressman, alerting us to the mistake.  I believe there were even mistakes on some of the pre-filled applications.  The voters who already returned their envelopes were assured that their applications would be directed to the correct election office, but I wouldn't trust that.  We decided to apply online, which was very easy to do.   As you wisely stated, "I am taking zero chances with this election."

I agree that Congress can only supply the billions needed to save the USPS, but I do think we should do all we can -- put pressure on our Congressional representatives and raise holy hell, protest,  purchase stamps -- anything that shows sustained support.  I saw people protesting in Montana.   I also heard yesterday that some citizens have been calling their local post office, offering to volunteer with the mail sorting. 

My husband and I intend to deliver our ballots to our designated election office.  If that doesn't work, we'll show up in person at our polling place, wearing Hazmat suits!

lowtide, DolphinSpirit, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

@dolphinspirit

This had me howling! 

"The Post Office issue really gets under my skin. So, I resorted to alternative nasal breathing."

Then i had to think back to I think jt was my stint in Kundalini Yoga. Unfortunately, bring spatially and numerically dyslexic, i renumbered that alternate nasal breathing as well as my pattern of "Walking Quiqong" were both problematic for me ?

And yes i have forgotten how to ride a bike as my balance went out after an emergency gas dump over Puget Sound and an emergency (no wheel breaks) landibg at Seatac only 20 minutes of gas left (pilot told us to pray he got it right ??) created a complex barometric pressure ear disorder that lasted for over a decade along with instant tinnitus. 

When I say my life has been filled with bizarre challenges I'm not joking or exaggerating. 

Blessed to have many gifts from the Divine as Ying Yang balance in my amazingly interesting lives. ?

Puts Trumpsters and Grumpsters in perspective but sometimes takes me a while since i also have that spatial/ numbers/ time thing.

Hahahahaha. Love and laughter to you dolphinspirit!

FEBbby23, deetoo, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Bless you @deetoo for adding those by @saibh

I took a day or two off of social media to rebalance.

Truth: 

To search for birthday gifts for 8 family members from now until March then Christmas gifts for 14 family members so all the hiding of bought ahead for as much as 1 year ago gifts could be found.

Then put into categories by each person biryhdays and Christmas. And photographed as such. So I remember i have a sleigh load ahead and don't get out of balance from thinking "what am I going to do? "

Hahahaha! Only 3 granddaughters need a bit of internet shopping after Thanksgiving sales ?

Every year i say I'm cutting down but helping and giving gifts is my true Buddhist nature ?

Now if you haven't already done an internet search on me and discovered my other "wild and crazy woman of a certain age" characteristics (my real name showed as did a number of ours.

There are no accidents but privacy here is important for all. Got to keep Trump's psychic team from knowing who we really are or he'll put us all in pre-cog tanks and use use! 

Thank goodness for @jeanne-mayell and her hyper security vigilance. 

Pray for her an our precious site!

I do all the time but big time when I'm outside under a full moon chanting, waiking and woo-woo-ing my alchemical magic for transformation for our entire population and the survival of our planet. You loveky new age spiritual pagans joint D. and I.

All full mooners going crazy with any and all faiths,  join in for a healing!

Love you all lots!

FEBbby23, deetoo, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dolphinspirit)
Noble Member Registered

@michele I am glad it gave you a laugh. We need them! 

deetoo, Michele, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

OH. My. Goodness.

I can't believe how out of hand the mailing voting/post office topic has become on social media.

Even people I thought were rational and sane have lost their brain.  Lost an entire pack of marbles.  

You know that old egg in the frying pan commercial "this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs?"

Well folks, this is your country and this is your country on _____. (insert whatever conspiracy theory, Russian, Fox News,  QAnon you wish).  

FEBbby23, deetoo, Michele and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

For those who are interested in how to make sure your mail-in ballot can reach its destination, you may want to read this nice little article.  Especially if you don't trust the post office route right now.

https://www.democracydocket.com/2020/08/usps-delays/?fbclid=IwAR3aJw-aPp-bwgOeWzZz6Vzd-93IxbyMKk1A44elgNyG-0JYA1xPry_9-rg

FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

From my sister-in-law this morning:

“The 6 men with their email addresses who can fire DeJoy: This is the USPS Board of Governors. These six men have the power to fire Trump-appointee Louis DeJoy.

They have the power to rollback Trump's hobbling of the USPS.

They have the power to save a free and fair election.

I encourage you to contact them and explain why mail-in voting matters to you (Probably best to sound like a member of the GOP.) Do this, and please pass this to more by PM.)”

Robert Duncan:
mduncan@inezdepositbank.com

John Barger:
barger.jm@gmail.com

Ron Bloom:
ron.bloom@brookfield.com

Roman Martinez:
roman@rmiv.com

Donald Moak:
lee.moak@moakgroup.com

Wiliam Zollers:
directoraccessmailbox@cigna.com

numerologist, Isabelle, FEBbby23 and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lauri-h)
Estimable Member Registered

@lowtide thanks for this information! It’s been a couple years since I’ve been on here. You all help me stay focused on the long view and know this chaos will end at some point. 

I will share these emails with my Indivisible chapter and I’ll try to get a campaign to email them going in my area. I live in Washington state and we love our mail in voting! 

deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@lauri-h

That’s awesome, Lauri!! You never know how, when you put something out into the world, it will resonate and be passed on! Amazing! Thank you and bless you and your friends!! ?

FEBbby23, deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

I have already made up my mind.... If I have to crawl naked under blazing midday sun over broken glass all the way to the polls to vote... I will do it wearing my mask and making my mark to VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO. "Not wearing a mask is a poor hill to die on"  but voting to save my country? is a good one if it need be.

The Lincoln Project lists who to call to save the USPS on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thelincolnproject.us/

deetoo, TriciaCT, Tiger-n-Owl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lowtide So I wrote to the Board of Overseers, only to read that they were all appointed by Trump.  Waste of time. 

FEBbby23, deetoo, TriciaCT and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@jeanne-mayell

Ugh.  Disappointing.  I guess that's why it said to "sound like a Republican" in the email.  Sorry about that. :(

Just read that two of them are Democrats.  Ron Bloom and Donald Moak.

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

For those who are interested, here is a summary of the recommendations (page 64) for achieving sustainability for the USPS that was issued in 2018.  The USPS board of governors didn't have enough members to reach a quorum, until 2019.  

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/USPS_A_Sustainable_Path_Forward_report_12-04-2018.pdf

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 gbs
(@gbs)
Famed Member Registered

Jeanne and others, I plan to write today to the heads of the companies or heads of the boards of the companies that employ members of the USPS Board of Governors–or of the nonprofits/companies on whose boards the Governors sit–asking them if they tolerate an employee/board member who is aiding and abetting the subversion of the postal service.

These affiliations are from the bios on the USPS Board of Governors page so I'm not sure how current they are:

https://about.usps.com/who/leadership/board-governors/

John Barger: NorthernCross Partners

Ron Bloom: Brookfield Asset Management; sits on the boards of Westinghouse Electric Company and Clarios

Roman Martinez: Sits on the boards of New York Presbyterian Hospital, the International Rescue Committee, Cigna, Bacardi, and Orbital ATK

Donald Moak: The Moak Group

William Zollars: Sits on the boards of Cerner Corporation, ProLogis, C2FO, Restone Logistics, and Main Street Data

Unk p, deetoo, TriciaCT and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

USPS inspector general reviewing policy changes by chief Louis DeJoy - Axios

"Detais: A group of Senate Democrats led by Warren wrote a letter to the inspector general last week asking her to look into DeJoy's policy changes, which include eliminating overtime for USPS workers, and whether DeJoy has "met all ethics requirements."

DeJoy — a former Trump donor and fundraiser — still owns at least $30 million in equity in his former company, which is a USPS contractor, and recently bought stock options for Amazon, a USPS competitor, CNN first reported Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the USPS watchdog confirmed to CNN the office has "initiated a body of work to address the concerns raised, but cannot comment on the details."

It is unclear if the inspector general has launched "a full-scale investigation into possible politicization at USPS by DeJoy," or if it is just reviewing the matter for Congress, according to CNN."

https://www.axios.com/usps-inspector-general-dejoy-mail-160aa2fd-b664-44de-a758-2042948fe6cf.html 

TriciaCT, deetoo, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

Those of us living in Oregon were the first state in the nation to approve a  vote by mail program and have used it without anyf real problems for over 20-years!

Whil

Clarno, in a statement she released with the USPS letter on Friday, noted that voting by mail is nothing new to Oregon.

“Fortunately, Oregon has two decades of experience working with our local contacts at the United States Postal Service and has an excellent partnership with them to ensure ongoing support for our elections.

We will of course continue to work with them and monitor any potential impact to both the mailing out of ballots to voters and the return of ballots.

We at the state level are meeting with our USPS partners to ensure we are ready for November. The USPS recognizes that Oregon leads the nation with Vote by Mail and that we are using the latest USPS technology to streamline the process.”

U.S. Postal Service says Oregon vote-by-mail appears compatible with its delivery standards - Portland Business Journals.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/news/2020/08/14/postal-service-sees-oregon-vote-as-compatible.html

TriciaCT, Share, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Topic starter  

And you may have seen this, i can't keep up with all the multi-thread postings, in multiple threads here  ?

Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, said the Postal Service under the postmaster general, Louis DeJoy, a major donor to the Trump campaigns, had “informed some states that they may need to pay a first-class rate to deliver ballots rather than the normal rate — nearly tripling the cost.”

At issue is whether states choose to categorize their mail-in ballots as first-class mail or marketing mail, the latter of which carries about one-third of the cost but gets lower priority.

“At a time when people will have to vote by mail in record numbers because they can’t or won’t go vote in person, the postmaster general is saying we should triple the rate of cost to vote by mail?” Mr. Schumer said. “What a despicable derogation of democracy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/politics/post-office-mail-in-voting.html

TriciaCT, Share, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@writerjenny)
Noble Member Registered

What's interesting to me about this Post Office debacle is the enormous margin for error. Not only is it making a ton of voting Americans furious (and screwing it up when it comes to their mail order meds and mail/packages), but we can simply show up and vote in person.

I intuit this is going to be another situation where his hubris will be his downfall. I think when he sees the numbers voting ON Election Day, his jaw will hit the floor, and my cards still show a bad ending for him and a good ending for Biden (and the Empress card for Kamala, so what a great choice for VP!).

TriciaCT, Unk p, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: