Notifications
Clear all

GOP-exit

(@rch)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Reference:  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/congress-retirements-record_us_5acb8fc6e4b0337ad1ea639e

Ever since Trump got into office, I am still amazed at how the GOP politicians and/or White House staff leave so swiftly.   They're almost like rats abandoning the sinking ship.  I don't ever remember a Presidency like this!

I should be happy about their grand farewells, but logically, if your party were in power, why would you consider retiring while the going is good and prosperous?  

BlueBelle and BlueBelle reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zoron)
Illustrious Member Registered

They are leaving because they have been caught in corruption, each and everyone.  They realize there are powerful watchdogs out there who are holding them accountable.  Trump can get a way with a lot, but most of the others do not have that ability. To some extent, democracy does work.   

javamyworld, Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

I know we're still very much on the roller coaster ride from hell, but I'm feeling more positive this week with recent developments. BUT I still worry about events in Fall - makes me wonder even more about an attack (real or false flag) on urban centers, especially DC, which would account for so many of the rats jumping ship now.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I don’t feel an attack coming.

Am feeling very positive too about the mood of the people.

I think the majority of voters are  done with Trump and the GOP Congress. But I don’t know about the impact of voter suppression and Russian poll hacking. 

javamyworld, Lola, Laynara and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@locus)
Eminent Member Registered

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-russia-could-steal-the-midterms

This article talks about how the Russians could hack the midterm elections. One of the key issues is that even though it is a federal election, States are administrating it and many lack the resources or the will to stop the hacking. I wish there was some movement such as MoveOn, putting pressure on States to be more accountable - does anyone know of one?

The other reason why I can see GOP keep Senate and House majorities is because disturbingly trump has been getting more popular. Between December and now his approval ratings from 38% to almost 41% despite the Russian interference stories, the rampant corruptuon and sex scandles. Seems like his base is expanding! This is terrifying.

Laynara and Laynara reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: