Good Opinion Piece

Notifications
Clear all

Good Opinion Piece

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

From Paul Krugman, who in the past I haven't always agreed with. Until recently, he was not alarmist. That has now changed:  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/29/opinion/trump-g-7-summit-energy.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fpaul-krugman&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection&_r=0&mtrref=www.alternet.org&gwh=BB1F8DFBA44FFB6B4F58167EFA438777&gwt=pay&assetType=opinion

It is horrifying to think that ONE man's actions could lead to the end of mankind, but there you have it. Not so much a butterfly effect as an avalanche.

ReplyQuote
(@diana11)
Reputable Member Registered

And today those predictions came true :(

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

I know... just awful.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thanks for this piece, Laura. I also heard that cities, states and businesses are going to  Paris without the president. That fits a positive prediction we had that the failure of our federal government would activate commitments at the local level. 

Grace and Grace reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

Yes, in fact here in CA, our governor has pledged to do just that. "....Totally wrong. California will resist this misguided and insane course of action. Trump is AWOL, but California is on the field, ready for battle." -- Gov. Jerry Brown, 1 June '17

Grace and Grace reacted
ReplyQuote
(@diana11)
Reputable Member Registered

Right Jeanne, I remember that and I also remember there was a conversation about Baba Vanga predicting that Obama was the last true President and about Sylvia Brown's prediction that the government would change into a sort of continental congress as states would unite and form coalitions or  unions of states. Do you still see that happening? Do you think this is the beginning of these smaller state nations? Is that why no one can really see what's going to happen in 2020 because it will be a different form of government? I just feel like everything is moving so fast and anything is possible at this point.

I'm still seething at Trump pulling out of the Paris agreement but I love that mayors, companies, and people understand how important it is to do everything we can to save the planet - it gives me hope...well, most people understand that, his followers are still clueless...

ReplyQuote
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

Coalitions of states does seem like the direction we are headed. It's not necessarily a bad thing. The leader states need to jump forward and move ahead without being held back by the states that don't want to change. Leader states need to be free to create the new reality we all need. The other states will eventually join in when they finally see they have no choice. This will happen when they become aware that they've reached a "progress or perish" situation.

diana11 and diana11 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

Today's Op-Ed from the Washington Post made me smile when I read this quote:  "Sure, Trump’s policies and rhetoric are incoherent and based on a tower of lies. Far worse, however, is his appalling character..."

Link to article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/06/04/with-his-london-tweets-trump-embarrasses-himself-and-america-once-again/?tid=ss_fb&utm_term=.c0456891d17c

ReplyQuote
Share: