Notifications
Clear all

Anti-Racism Resources

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

So you're an ally. You want to help. You acknowledge your privilege and want to learn as much as you can to be a good ally. You also acknowledge that it is not the job of people of color to educate you. So what to do?

A friend of mine sent me a very helpful google document listing many resources for just this kind of education. It includes all types of media and also organizations doing the work that welcome allies.

For those who are struggling with this, or for those who wish to expand their understanding of these issues, I suggest looking at this list and picking whatever interests you as your starting point. I am familiar with some of the material, but not all, and I have done work with SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice). Many local SURJ chapters also offer "How to Be a Good Ally" or "Racism 101" classes (when a pandemic is not raging).

I will leave this link here below. I'm starting this thread as a bibliography of sorts, not as a discussion thread of the merits of the items on this or any list, that should be done elsewhere. Feel free to add more resources as you find them.

Anti-Racism Resource List

Jeans3head, Grace, Jeanne Mayell and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@laura-f, this is a wonderful resource list.  Since last night I've been thinking a lot about what you are addressing, and this list is a great help to me. Thanks so much for posting it.

LalaBella, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@herondreams)
Famed Member Registered

Yes, thank you!

LalaBella and LalaBella reacted
ReplyQuote
(@goldstone)
Noble Member Registered

We really need this, especially now more than ever.

LalaBella, Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@villager)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f thank you so much. I would like to add Rachel Cargle to the list - do I add the information directly to the google doc? (I wasn't able to add anything in google docs.)

LalaBella, Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@villager

You can't add to that google doc - I don't own it.

Just post it on this thread,maybe a link to pertinent info in the post.

ReplyQuote
(@villager)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f thank you. Rachel Cargle's anti-racism work is on instagram and her website.

I would also like to add Allen at lilnativeboy on instagram who has an Indigenous Ally's Toolkit.

Jeanne Mayell, Goldstone, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

If you'd like to help bail out protestors, here is a link to ActBlue, which is a reliable fundraising site:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bail_funds_george_floyd

Jeanne Mayell, Pikake, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@barbarmar22)
Prominent Member Registered

@laura-f 

Thank you Laura-f, This resource is spot on and so useful for me and a group of my co-workers who just had a painful meeting this morning. We are a diverse team and need to work on our understanding of one another. 

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Laura-f The New Yorker cartoon says so much about the task ahead of us for tackling racism: 

1591329298-Screen-Shot-2020-06-04-at-115237-PM.png

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell

Love it! Thank you!!

Apparently 10,000 people marched here in San Diego tonight, unlike some of our outlying areas (La Mesa, Santee) it's been mostly peaceful after the first night.

But I worry many will get sick despite wearing masks, everyone was VERY close together and chanting...

I can't do that stuff in the middle of a pandemic, so I decided to adopt Arizona with VoteSaveAmerica.com. Next week is my training session. I'll do what I can from home.

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

ProPublica has many articles regarding racial justice. They have a lot of info on how to hold local police accountable - stuff than any citizen can do if they feel they want to. Here's a link to their stuff on that:

5 Ways to Hold Police Accountable

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

For those who want to start talking to their kids about racism, a few resources:

List of Books on Racism for Kids

Black History Flashcards

ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

bumping this thread -

Robin Diangelo's book White Fragility is now available. She does a great job, and you can also see her videos/Ted talk on Youtube.

ReplyQuote
Share: