Notifications
Clear all

Reading Our Pets

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

Ok Everyone. I need some good, strong, positive pet vibes sent my way.  I wasn't planning on jumping back in so quickly, but I came across two little kitties online I fell in love with.

The first is a marmalade tabby out of Tijuana - his rescuer found him hanging on under a truck, his paws burned from walking on the hot engine (paws are healed). The rescuer took him home, got him to a vet, but has 2 other cats so needs to rehome. He's about 9 weeks old. I ran his info by my vet, she gave a thumbs up. We're going to meet him on Thursday morning, and unless he looks very sickly he'll be coming home with us. So for this little guy, just send healthy energy.

The second is a brown tiger tabby through a local rescue org, no dramatic story, 10 weeks old, but he is adorable, and my vet gave thumbs up for him too.  This one especially I need you to focus on. Where I live even reputable rescue orgs are VERY difficult to deal with, poor communication, lots of bait and switch, etc. I submitted the app this morning, who knows if/when I'll hear back.

When I asked my vet if I'm crazy for moving on so soon, she said "Are you kidding me? Look who you're talking to!" (She has many dogs and cats at home, so she's a fellow crazy pet lady.)

I haven't been able to sleep well since Tess left. Today I sensed her kind of swing by, so I feel more comforted. Interestingly, Arlo to date has not graced us with any presence, which makes me wonder if the cat I end up with might be him reincarnated....

Thank you & Namasté!

ghandigirl, Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

@laura f.  Everyone is different - the best thing you can do to honor the love you had for your animal is to save another one, and it doesn't matter if it's now or later.  My sister's dog died, and I asked my other sister, how long do you think she'll wait before she gets another dog? My sister said, "I don't know, but she's on Petfinder now!" We've had that particular dog for 11 years. You don't forget the one who's gone, they're all different, but I think helping another animal is a wonderful panacea. 

Rescues unfortunately have seen it all - the rescue we work with, the woman who runs it is impossible. But in a good way. If an animal is leaving her rescue, it's going to a good, forever home. She sees to that. One I worked with in New York - the same way. He had 17 applications for a German shepherd and he said to me, "I want him to be with a gay couple in the Village." But I'm sure you will be fine. Please keep us posted.

Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@laura-f  I am feeling strongly that orange marmalade tabby is yours!!!! Hey.. never ask any veterinary people if you should get another pet - we always have large packs..some permanent, some foster fails and fosters coming and going. At one time I had 5 dogs, 4 cats, goats and chickens!! I am streamlined down to just 6 critters now. Praying about the brown tabby.. always say.. the more the merrier!

villager, ghandigirl, Lovendures and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

A pic I was able to screenshot of the orange marmalade from TJ.

Still no word from the rescue for the brown tabby. I'll give them til next week and then resume searching for a private adoption.

1596639914-Screenshot_2020-08-05-Rescued-Kitten-in-need-of-home-pets.jpg

villager, ghandigirl, Lovendures and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@laura-f such a sweetie! Go with your gut! I went for 2 kittens shortly after the cat-love of my life (19 year old Holly) passed and in hindsight, it was too soon for me. 

That said, if they are a good fit, go for it! There are so many animals who need love and these two (especially that orange furbal ?) do too! . If you have room in house and heart there is nothing stopping you. ❤️ 

Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella, villager and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

@laura-f gorgeous! Give the rescue some time with the other cat. I think you may be successful.

LalaBella, villager, LalaBella and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @journeywithme2

@laura-f  I am feeling strongly that orange marmalade tabby is yours!!!! Hey.. never ask any veterinary people if you should get another pet - we always have large packs..some permanent, some foster fails and fosters coming and going. At one time I had 5 dogs, 4 cats, goats and chickens!! I am streamlined down to just 6 critters now. Praying about the brown tabby.. always say.. the more the merrier!

My vet is totally an enabler. 

We had planned long term to go with attrition and end up being old people with just one cat, but these last two died at the age of 12, which is odd for indoor-only cats. Also with being home so much these days/no travel, I feel like we have time to work with kittens again.

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@laura-f  All vet staff are enablers...we know who are good pet parents/owners...we know who to call every time we find a little one (not referring to age) in need of a home after we heal them. We feel no shame in it either LOL  We have also taken in babies that their parent/owners passed and needed re-homing. We have taken in babies that were dumped in boxes on our doorsteps. Oh the stories I could tell.  Just know.. that all who care well and make room? Are forever prayed for and blessed by veterinary staff around the world.

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@laura-f, if you don't take that orange marmalade, I will -- and I'm allergic to cats!  What a cutie pie.  Seriously, I agree with @moonbeam and go with your gut.  Yea or nay ... whatever you decide will be the right decision for you.

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@deetoo

I'm allergic to cats too LMAO!! Never stopped me.

The rescuer sent me more pics and even a little video of our guy in which he's lurking on a chair and bopping one of the rescuer's adult cats on the head and then hiding under a blanket on the chair.

We're heading out to get him in a couple of hours, I'll pop back in later to confirm.

@journeywithme2

Absolutely. My family never had anything other than cats and dogs, but we've always had them going back several generations. I remember my grandmother talking about the white cat she had as a little girl growing up in the Bronx.  My Dad has 3 dogs and 8 cats (all rescues except 1 dog). My BFF (the conservative one) has 9 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues except 3 of the dogs - she loves german shepherds). My husband's family was cat only, but they've had quite a few over the years.

And then there are our local ravens, who my husband refers to as "Your black chickens" as in, "Your black chickens are calling you, they must be hungry," because I leave stale bread crusts out for them and every morning they let me know when they're nearby looking for food (which they frequently dip into our birdbath).

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@laura-f  LOL  I just got called out by my four "black chickens" to serve them lunch . I am allergic to dogs,cats and more LOL .. i am in fact allergic to so much I should live in a bubble ..that's not me tho. I have an Epi-pen.. have Epi-Pen? Live life LOL (and yes.. I have had to use it a few times it's one of those things you don't need.. til you need it.. then? you really, really need it.Thank God it has been years now tho.)

I have had desensitization therapy over the years.. it was a big help. Both from the allergist and from constant exposure. I figure all that unconditional love is worth a few sniffles and itchy eyes.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, ghandigirl and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Cleo in 3D

1596735149-Cleo-in-3D.jpg

Stargazer, LalaBella, villager and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@ghandigirl, that's fantastic!  Years ago I worked in glass mosaic but had to stop because of bad RA in my hands.  I really wanted to do a glass mosaic portrait of our dog at the time, Gracie, who has since passed on.  You've inspired me to try some collage.  Thank you! 

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

Update: Things are going well here!

We got kitty, and we are naming him Django in honor of Django Reinhardt, the famous guitarist who was a gypsy. Seems fitting for a little guy that got himself onto a truck, got rescued in Mexico, and then came to the US.

He is very brave and smart. We introduced him to the dogs on our back deck, and already Coco has play-bowed to him, but when she got to close he puffed up and hissed at her, which it was interesting to see her back down immediately. Bambi could care less. Sniffed him and went about her day.

I've closed off the bedrooms for now, but will probably sleep with him in the spare room so he doesn't roam too far/get into trouble during the night and so hubby can get a good night's sleep.

He already has played with many of our baby cat toys, has eaten a bit, has used the litter box, and has napped on my chest at length.  He goes to our vet tomorrow morning, but it's just a formality, he has no fleas, is very clean overall, and looks healthy and alert.  The rescuer said his wife was crying all morning, so I sent him a couple of pics of Django settling in, he was very appreciative.

He's not as old as I assumed - only 6 weeks. So tiny I'm using a pashmina shawl as a "baby sling" to keep my hands free a bit.  I'll post pics as soon as I figure out the best way to do that, but he looks identical to the pic I posted above.

Now to find him a brother...

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jewels-2)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f. I'm sorry you had to say good-bye to Tess. You gave her a loving home and family. I hope she visits you soon. ... Meanwhile, you are due serious payback in 2020.  :)

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@laura-f

*Rainbow Kitten Surprise*

Congrats Laura ... that is one darling little spirit and a charmed life he will have into the future as well... ?

Love that you named him after the gypsy great Django Reinhardt ... perfect! (I still have a feeling that your Tess is going to return to you, so keep an eye out) ?

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@laura-f  Love , Love, Love this!!!

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, LalaBella and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@laura-f what wonderful news! Shocked at the age though. Did somebody dump kittens for him to get on the road at what, 4 5 weeks?

That said, shower him with love and compassion! ❤️  

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Topic starter  

@moonbeam

He was found alone, "under" a truck chassis. Unlikely anyone was dumped because in Tijuana there's lots and lots of feral cats and dogs on the streets. Here in San Diego there's a lot of awareness and lots of rescue activities because we are a no-kill county and in TJ, well, let's just say I won't put those images in your head of what happens there, it's horrific.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@laura-f. It boggles the mind how sweet-pee got there, but I'm happy he was found and is with you. I hope that kindness to animals will one day bleed through to Mexico, but having seen Earthlings 10 years ago (and still traumatized because of it) I think it will take a long time for the world to be a kind place to all of nature.

That said, no matter his background, be his mom (which I am certain you already are in heart and spirit;-) he got torn away from her much too soon! Enjoy the fuzzy love, Laura, it can chase so much pain away. ❤️ 

Any news on the other one?

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, LalaBella and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 29
Share: